American Hops for an ESB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danielofthedale

Reaction score
I am thinking about making an ESB next week, but would like to use some American hops instead of English styles. Any recommendations or should I just stick to traditional English hops.

If you want American hops because you want to support American agriculture, then Pappers is right, go with Willamette. If you want American hops because you want to do something different, then you're starting to move away from the ESB style, and more into American Pale Ale territory, in which case you can use just about any American hop.

Depends what you're trying to do.

Thanks guys, I will just switch over to a Pale Ale. Was just wanting to experiment with some American style hops I have not used before.

Nugget is slightly earthy. There are also US versions of Fuggles and Goldings. Willamette as mentioned, too.

Don't cave so easily, make the ESB!

I like Willamette and US Tettnanger have been good to me, too. You're likely to find US versions of various hops, as tre9er mentioned.

Back