Lager fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chewpeg

Reaction score
So really wanted to do a lager. Background is I just started brewing and have just started 2 months ago. Really enjoy it and have read countless internet articles and forums and have read 3 books so far. Have just the starter extract equipment and my first real buy will be a ss 15 gallon kettle for a ebiab.
Anyways had no fridge or anything of the such to lower the temperature to ferment a lager so built a box out of 1/2 plywood a ton of glue, Sm Styrofoam and spray foam. I’m able to keep a to of 11C/52F with a 4 litre jug for over 12 hours.
My question is, is there a some kind of refrigerator equipment that can be added to a box of this kind to keep the temperature? I realize I could do the same approach with an old freezer but like doing this hands on approach and totally going to build a bigger one to hold other fermenters and such. Ideas for me??
IMG_3232.jpg
IMG_3234.jpg

That's a pretty nice result for the first time out of the box....so to speak. :)

Some people have done things like use air conditioners or small refrigerators to provide cooling to such a container.

Another option--can't tell where you live, but if you live in a place with Craigslist, or a Facebook marketplace, you might look for a tall dorm-style refrigerator. Mine is 4.4 cu feet, and that's about the right size.

They can be converted to a ferm chamber very, very easily. Might be easier to get a used cheap refrigerator and repurpose it than to try to add refrigeration to your insulated box.

I've seen those refrigerators on Craislist for from $30-60. At that price it's hard not to get one.

Here's what mine looks like:

minifermchamber.jpg

Anyway, good luck!

Thanks mongoose!
Ya the refrigerator option is an easy one I agree. Will be weighing that option for sure. Just exploring a bit as I am new to this whole thing and have a clean slate to work with so exploring the options. Even going to the extent of a multi chamber in one unit sort of deal in the future to ferment/condition more than one batch. Idk so many options!! Lol
Btw crazy scientific blow off setup you have there. Just every angle looked at with that contraption. [emoji106]

Here is link for a setup that you might be able to gets some ideas from if you want to build on what you started. Not sure if it will get you to lager temps if your expand to multiple chambers.
http://www.brewgeeks.com/build-a-ferm-chamber.html

I looked but could find the link, but people have built a ferment chamber over top of a keezer. If you do some searching you should be able to find examples.

Wow that’s one hell of a build!!!! Thanks very much for the post. Defiantly going to consider a build similar to this [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
See instead of buying one temperature controlled chronical build one multi one. Love it. Thanks again.

I used the radiator idea to cool two chambers to ale temps, I never tried to lager anything. I could keep the chambers at low 60s when the ambient temp in my garage was close to 80 during the summers. If you want to try lagering multiple chambers maybe add more insulation inside to reduce the volume of air that need cooling.

I had about a 3gal water reservoir inside my keezer to feed the radiators in the chambers. I also had a third radiator and a pump in my keezer to help keep the reservoir water cold.

Back