Lager Fermentation: Traditional Yeast vs. Hybrid Yeast | exBEERiment Results!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brulosopher

Reaction score
Lager beer is some of my favorite, I'd say more than half of my brewing is dedicated to these styles... well, my version of these styles. You see, I like to ferment Helles, Märzen, Dunkel, and the like using non-traditional lager strains, something many would contend doesn't produce "real" lager. I've been curious just how distinguishable a beer fermented with my preferred hybrid yeast, WLP029 German Ale/Kölsch, would be from the same beer fermented with a traditional lager yeast, Saflager 34/70. Results are in!

http://brulosophy.com/2015/04/13/la...al-yeast-vs-hybrid-yeast-exbeeriment-results/

Cheers to the cool guys at Basic Brewing Radio and Basic Brewing Video​ for participating in the xBmt and having be on the show to discuss the results.

Very cool article. I too use kolsh/alt yeast to do lagers, usually fermenting at high 50s to low 60s and then "lagering" for a few weeks to a month in mid 30s.

results are fantastic

Back