15 PSI and 15 minutes or....?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumboldtBrewer

Reaction score
So I have a party this saturday and I need two kegs carbed by then. They are sitting in the fridge now to get the temps down. I've read several techniques on the shake method and one was, set to the psi you want your beer to end up at (prefered vols) and shake for 15 minutes, or set to 30 psi and shake for 2 to 5 minutes. The question is, which one is the one that will give the best results and least likely to ruin my beer. Remember that I will be shaking them tomorrow since I am away from home until tomorrow evening.
:mug:

Neither will ruin your beer. Just make sure all of the oxygen is evacuated from the keg before you shake. If you overcarbonate, you can always let the pressure out of the headspace, shake, rest, and repeat until it is down to your preferred level of carbonation.

This is what I do for every brew. I fill up the keg put put in fridge, turn gas on to 30psi wait 24 hours. No shaking no worrying. I pour enough beer to clean out the sediment and based on the carb level I might, or might not give it another 12 hours. Typically, I never need more than 36 hours.

So I'm gonna go with the 30 psi method. Should I go for 3 minutes or 5, or will it even make a difference?

Just set it at 30psi and leave it for a day, check it and if still not carb'd give it another 12-24 hours at 30psi. No shaking required

I got this info from a small section of a sticky, cant remember the thread at the moment.

I modified it a bit to suit my set up.

Chill keg to serving temp
Reg @ 30psi into liquid post.
Rock keg for 2 minutes
Degass a bit(usually until beer comes out of the gas post)
Reg @ 30 psi into liquid post
Rock keg for 1.5 minutes
Degass to somewhere near serving pressure

Edit - Found the sticky in the general techniques by Yuri rage near the bottom of the first post "Force carbonate: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/aging-beer-facts-myths-discussion-84005/

My findings on the 30psi method for most beers...set to 30, leave for 2 days and do not shake. Reduce to serving psi then the longer you can wait the better. No longer my preferred method as compared to 2 week low and slow but if you need to get some beer in production, that's the way it's done. Proven this to work on mulitple occasions. It won't be the best it can be but it'll be good.

Back