Lactose?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agentbud

Reaction score
When adding lactose to a brew, I have seen some recipes say to add it at the beginning of the boil and other recipes say to add it at the end (ie last 5-10 minutes). I know that adding lactose is used to add some non-fermentable sugars to add sweetness but what are the advantages/disadvantages to adding at the beginning vs the end of the boil?

Maybe minimal to undetectable caramelizing, depending on the amount, if boiled for longer. I’d say it doesn’t really matter much either way.

Agree with @dmtaylor, I recently made a stout and added a full 1# late in the boil and ended up being disappointed with the sweetness level. Since it's not needed in the boil or during fermentation, it makes the most sense to add it as needed at packaging time.

Later the better. In the boil will ensure it's sanitized. Later in the boil you can check gravity before you add it in so you know what the gravity is before adding a non fermentable as it will affect gravity readings. (of course you can use a formula too to calculate gravity with the lactose but it might be easier to check the gravity yourself especially if you have a refractometer).

The advantages of after fermentation is to be able to make adjustments but you risk infection and oxidation.

Pick your poison.

If you boil water and mix in the lactose to then dump into your beer (which has alcohol in it) I think the contamination risk is pretty low.

Added at the beginning of the boil reduces the hop utilization due to the increased specific gravity of the wort.

I agree with testing it first in the finished beer, before deciding whether to add it. It has a tendency to mask potentially a lot of desirable flavor in beer. I‘ve known it to transform a very nice flavorsome beer into something very bland and 1-D.

Latest posts

Back