Hard Cider Pasteurization Just Before bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaldenBrew

Reaction score
I have my first 5g of hard Cider that currently at sg.998 that I want to back sweenten (carmel apple recipe), however I don't want to add sorbate or preservatives, and only have wine bottles (as apposed to campaign or beer). So I was thinking Is there a good way to dump the whole batch in a pot bring up to 190F say for 5 mins, then bottle? Would this adversely effect the ABV of the brew? I realize this would be a "still" batch which is fine, I just don't want to mess with the ABV too much but still have a sweet cidar that wont turn into bombs.

Let me know and thanks to all the contributors here. Just fantastic info!

I think that you would have a problem pasteurizing after bottling if you use wine bottles and corks, as the corks would pop out.

I also think pouring them into a pot and heating would ruin it. You'd risk oxidation, boiling off some of the alcohol (ethanol boils off at 173 or so), and ruining the flavor of the cider making it taste "cooked". A "cooked" cider would be like the difference between the fresh apple taste of juice and the cooked flavor of apples in a pie.

I don't think I would do this.

If you don't want to use sorbate to stabilize, then I"d consider leaving it dry.

It's up to you. I've done it a couple times, and not noticed any difference in flavours (key word is "noticed")--might be different if you have access to good quality unpasteurized cider. You don't need to bring it up to 190 though, I believe that 160 for 10 minutes works fine. To help keep from losing ethanol I also sealed the lid on as tight as I could (tin foil. Not sure how much it worked).

If you are worried about the flavour try doing a small test run first.

I bottle pasteurized today, and only had one explosion in the dishwasher. I will know in a couple of weeks if the cider is still fermenting in the bottle or not. I hope not.

Back