Hop bines starting already PNW?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuckstout

Reaction score
Just lookin for some advice, let them go or cut early growth bines?

Mine are popping up, North of Everett. Today I will get the ropes up and let em grow and see what happens. Last year was my first year growth and then did MEGA. They got plenty of water and Vids. Good luck

Now that my plants are established, I trim back all the first shoots until April - this allows for more uniform growth. However, don't cut them until they are a few inches long, or you risk damaging the rhizome.

Here east of the Cascades, I only have purple eyes showing off of the rhizomes(it's still pretty darn cold at night) and that is fine with me....cause when these bad boys start to grow, stress of harvest is just around the corner:D

Just west of Portland and my second years are popping up as well. I am going to cut them back until April like mentioned above. I didn't even plant mine until May last year and still had a pretty good harvest for first year plants.

I'm in Edmonds and of my 15 crowns 12 have broken the surface in varying degrees. 3 or 4 of them are 6 inches to a foot tall already and one already has some leaves on it (Zues). They are all 2nd or 3rd year crowns. I'm planning on cutting all but the strongest looking 3/4 bines per crown back and training them up sometime in the next week or two. I know its early but the spring has started off very mild.

All of them are planted in raised beds (or half wine barrels) and planted in straight compost. Last year they all produced some cones and my now 3 year old (2 year old at the time) Cascade and Hallertau made tons of cones.

I said above that I was going to cut mine back 'til April, but after doing some reading, I am scared that they might not grow back again. I think I'll just keep the best 3 or 4 and see what happens. Maybe a double harvest??

I'm in Edmonds and of my 15 crowns 12 have broken the surface in varying degrees. 3 or 4 of them are 6 inches to a foot tall already and one already has some leaves on it (Zues). They are all 2nd or 3rd year crowns. I'm planning on cutting all but the strongest looking 3/4 bines per crown back and training them up sometime in the next week or two. I know its early but the spring has started off very mild.

All of them are planted in raised beds (or half wine barrels) and planted in straight compost. Last year they all produced some cones and my now 3 year old (2 year old at the time) Cascade and Hallertau made tons of cones.

I'm going to be planting Zeus rhizomes for the 1st time by the end of the week. I'm across the ferry from you in suquamish. I'll be planting in some large pots. Don you have any soil/fertilizer tips?

I started my Zeus indoors which I think was a mistake as after I transplanted them outside they all died back to the ground and took a while to get going again. I potted them in 1 gallon pots with a 50/50 mix of potting soil and compost. If I did it again I would probably just use compost.

Of the 15 or so (5 different varieties) that I started indoors only about half survived the transition to outdoors (I started them way to early and they were 1-3 feet tall when I transplanted them and they all died back). When I dug up the dead ones they all appeared to have rotted away.

The first year I let all the bines grow and checked on them daily. I didn't have any problems after the initial die off. Also make sure you water them but don't drown them (they like to be moist not in a swamp!). In the fall I cover them with a good 2-3 inches of mulch / compost before it starts freezing over night.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Just planted so new plants today I got from NikoBrew cascade, centennial and some CTZ. Also trimmed back my northern brewers and selected my bines there doing great, looks like willamette is just poking through picture is of the NB

ForumRunner_20130411_141639.jpg

My Cascade is between 6-7 feet already. Most of my other varieties are 3-5 feet now. Hopefully all the rest of your bines are in the same range. This is by far the fastest growing year I've seen so far. Also I have a bunch of Cascade for sale / trade (1 - 1 year old crown and 3 - 2-3 year old crowns). I'd also be willing to trade for homebrew...

Back