First batch of Apfelwein going into keg AND bottles, need help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhatFireMan

Reaction score
My first batch of Apfelwein is just about done fermenting and I am getting ready to transfer it into a corney keg which will then land in my kegerator next to the store bought kegs. I have a separate CO2 tank and regulator for the corney already, I am just trying to sort through the logistics of my situation and thought I could throw it out there for comment...

I've got about 5.5 to 6 gallons of Apfelwein in the carboy, and my corney keg is roughly 5 gallons (I think). So I will need to put the last 0.5 to 1 gallon of product into bottles. I picked up a case (12) of 16 oz swing top bottles for the job.

My plan is to back sweeten with apple juice concentrate before it goes into the keg. I do not want to use Splenda, or Potassium Metabisulphite, or any other fake stuff if I can help it. No big deal for the keg, being in the fridge it will be too cold to ferment and I plan to use CO2 for my carbonation there. So I will transfer most of my batch into the corney keg, then back sweeten with concentrate, then button it up and put it on the gas inside the fridge for a couple weeks. I was told 20 psi for 2 weeks, then adjust for desired flow rate. Looks good on paper.

Now for the bottles however...if I then transfer the rest of the batch into the bottles, how can I accomplish back sweetening, while providing for carbonation, without using chemicals? Will the concentrate provide carbonation as well as flavor? Coopers Carbonation Tablets plus concentrate? Always keep the bottles in the fridge to avoid meltdown...?

I feel like the answer should be obvious but I am missing it somehow.

Thanks for any input! :mug:

there is somewhere on this site an article about bottle pasteurizing, where you basically bottle, wait a week or so to carb then bring the bottles up to temp in a pressure cooker to kill all the yeast inside.

there is somewhere on this site an article about bottle pasteurizing, where you basically bottle, wait a week or so to carb then bring the bottles up to temp in a pressure cooker to kill all the yeast inside.

Thanks, I'll hunt that article down. Although...I don't think the pressure cooker option is in the cards for me.

Still need some advice on how to sweeten PLUS carbonate without blowing it. :drunk:

Back