CO2 in or out of fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BruNut

Reaction score
Is it better to have the CO2 tank on the outside of the fridge? I know it is more convenient on the inside but does the cold temp help or hinder the carbonating process or rob the tank of pressure?:mug:

Is it better to have the CO2 tank on the outside of the fridge? I know it is more convenient on the inside but does the cold temp help or hinder the carbonating process or rob the tank of pressure?:mug:

Whatever's easier for you. Having the CO2 colder will rob the tank of pressure, but not capacity. Unless you need to force carb at 900 PSI it's not an issue :p

I keep mine outside, but that's only because I can then fit more on the inside, plus it is easier to change out. Zachattack is right though, really doesn't matter in the end.

Mine's on the inside b/c it fits, and it prevents a 3 yr old from having access to it...

Mine's on the outside because I was having leaking issues so was turning the tank on/off a lot so I wouldn't lose tanks. I find it easier to see, adjust, turn on/off...etc with it being out. Either or...whatever works for you is fine.

Mines on the outside. Easier access plus the 15lb tank doesn't fit inside my 4.4 cuft. Kegerator. Doesn't make a difference but it'd be cleaner looking if I could fit it inside.

I'm facing the same issue. My co2 tank would fit inside and from a labor standpoint it would be easier to put in there since I wouldn't have to make any more drills through my fridge. However from an ease of use standpoint it sounds like its better outside plus you don't have to worry about the regulator being off.

I'm not sure if the fridge has any direct impact on the psi. I assume if I set to 10 psi (either in or out of the fridge), it will be 10 psi. Correct me if I am wrong.

Nope, you're right. The regulator can respond a little slower if it's cold, but that's it.

Thanks for the confirmation. I think I am just going to put mine inside the fridge to start. If it becomes annoying I assume I can always put it outside the fridge at some point.

Is there any risk in taking a cold co2 tank and letting it sit at room temp? I don't need anything exploding on me. :) Although I heard the chances of co2 exploded is very minimal. Propane tanks for grills are much more dangerous.

No, there's no risk.

First off, the tank will never "explode." There's a fail-safe plug-valve built into the nozzle that will fail if the pressure ever gets too high. It will ruin the valve assembly, but it will prevent an explosion.

Secondly, the tank is designed and tested to withstand pressures at room temperature. Storing it cold (i.e., inside the fridge) lowers the pressure in the tank even further, but it's built to handle room-temperature pressure levels under normal circumstances.

I store mine inside the fridge just because I'm too scared to drill the side of my fridge. I've read too many horror stories about people ruining perfectly good fridges by drilling and hitting a cooling coil, releasing all the coolant.

kombat nailed it. If you lived in Texas and wanted to keep the tank in your garage that hits 110 deg F, you might have to worry about the relief valve getting set off. But at normal room temperatures you'll be fine, as long as the tank wasn't overfilled.

All great information. I appreciate it! And I hear you about drilling in the fridge, this is something I am not interested in really doing either.

Back