?'s about the name of this technique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveHeff

Reaction score
So I was planning a double blonde for this weekend. But instead of brewing with all 19# of grain at once, I planned on using my first runnings from the initial 11# (8# pale 2 row, 1 # vienna, 1# carared, 1# C10) to use as my sparge wort for my other 8#. Is there a name for this particular technique? I don't want to sound like an idiot when I explain it to brew friends/family...etc. And the estimated OG on this bruiser is around 1.100. But due to efficiency issues, I'll likely end up with 1.080-1.086.

sounds like a reiterated mash, except you're using the runnings as sparge water instead. you'll want to use those runnings as the mash water not sparge water. rinsing sugar with sugar water isn't gunna work very well.

Not sure what it's called but Green Flash does something similar with their Palate Wrecker IPA. They mash and sparge with hopped wort. Kinda like making a red-eye.

Noted, noted, and noted. Thanks for tips. I'll post some pics of my brew day coming up.

Yes, double or reiterated mash. Both terms are correct, as far as I know. It is, as Mosher quoted in Radical Brewing (and I forget who said this originally), "wasteful of both malt and men," but it does provide very high gravity worts.

Wait, I just read that more carefully. You're using wort from Mash #1 to sparge Mash #2, is that correct? Using the wort from Mash #1 to mash Mash #2 is double, or reiterated, mashing. Using it to sparge has no term that I know of. I've thought of doing it before, thinking it makes more sense than using it to mash again.

Not sparging. I will be mashing with it. Mistake on my part on terminology. I was writing excitedly and didn't catch the mistake.

Back