Meat is not a protein source

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daft

Reaction score
Arggh, a pitch by a company making meat substitutes got me mad (even as a veggie) in how it panders to misconceptions.

What is the appeal of meat eating? I say it is irrelevant as a protein source, rather it is a comfort food. Not only do lentils have a higher density by weight of protein than meat, but EVERY veggie food other than fruits has all the protein you can use... per unit of calories. Even a lettuce diet crams you full of proteins because you have to eat so much of it to get the calories you need for survival. Some might argue about getting the "right" kind of protein, but your body reconstructs it anyway.

Besides fatty oils, meat has certain savory and addictive elements that I hear is shared by olives, mushrooms, and cooked tomato sauce. I forgot the name of those... can anyone say? If a company wants to make a healthy meat substitute, I think it should target those rather than the "mouthfeel" of gristle, veins, muscle (yuck). I think people like meat not for protein or gruesome mouthfeel that they THINK they are appreciating, but for those magic elements with they associate with the former.

Meat is not an ideal that should be approximated in mock health products. Rather the ideal is attainable without meat, and meat is the crude approximation. It's like ice cream vs real gelato. Ice cream is a crude, pathetic shadow of real gelato. Gelato uses high density, fine crystallization, and higher temperature to give richness instead of the neanderthal butterfat of ice cream. Don't judge on the basis of ersatz gelato which cannot be manufactured right here due to prissy health laws, or the crap gelato from tourist traps.

We should free ourselves from second rate but comfortable habits. Make your own gelato! Make your own meat alternative that transcends meat! However if this involves mushrooms, ignore the common myth that they shouldn't be washed. They're often grown in horse crap for goodness sakes, and it is a proveable falsehood that they get soggy if you wash them. Just some ideas that may hit home for do it yourselfers.

om nom nom

meatmurder.jpg

If you can make a veggie steak that is just as good as a well marbled, rare piece of USDA prime moo cow then I'll readily convert. I agree that I have no biological need to eat a large chunk of cow and that it's purely because I like it. I like it a lot... Mmmm....bovine....

Then again I have no biological need to drink beer in this day and age. Water is safe to drink and theres no longer any need to preserve grain in liquid form. But here I am on HBT!

If I wasn't meant to eat meat all my teeth would be flat. But since they aren't all flat and I get the sh*#s when I only eat veggies I will continue with a mix of meat and veggies.

Nothing better than a thick juicy steak and a baked potato.

Hey I agree... Now does that mean I don't eat meat... Cause I do. But it doesn't make sense to eat every meal with a piece of steak, or ground beef. Meat wastes so much energy to digest it . Im sure you have all felt the slow dragging feel after eating that 32oz ribeye. It's like replacing good oil in your car with an old oil sludge.

Red Meat normally take up to 24 hours to digest. Veggies take couple of hours. This also means any veggies and fruits you eat will take 24 hours by default because the meat slows the digestion down. The fruit and veggies basically begin rot.

Also lots of proven facts that meats are related to circulation issues. Not too many veggies seem to cause a heart attack. Meats cause constipation, veggies don't. It goes on and on.

Now this isn't a spiel to become a vegan or what not. But meat use to be a treat to have, or survival during winter. It wasn't until the slaughter houses started to mass produce cows and than advertised it was better for you, when really it was better for their pockets.

Well I have rambled long enough.

Being at the top of the food chain I'll eat whatever I want be it a steak and lobster tail or a salad. +1 on the shape of our teeth.

You are thinking of umami which is the hallmark of glutamates.

Thanks, maybe so: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umami#Foods_rich_in_umami but I thought olives were also involved.

I am not proselytizing vegetarianism and certainly not lettuce diets. Just attacking
1) pushing of mock meat vegetarian products
2) forcing down excessive meat in a needless quest for protein
3) Idolizing meat as an ultimate, while the surrounding culture ignores additional routes to the same nirvana

I can understand pushback on any food restrictions, and I find the new sugar/sodapop fascism outrageous. But vegetarianism is a personal thing, almost never proselytized as far as I know. I got it from a revulsion of bloody food preparation.

Even Hitler didn't insist others follow his vegetarianism. He claimed it came from seeing his girlfriend dead. Not the famous one, but an earlier dalliance with a first cousin who was found dead with a broken jaw. He had 2 waiters shot who could place him leaving a restaurant in time to be at nearby scene of the crime.

I actually agree with the OP. I love meat and I will never become a vegetarian. However I do think it is really sad that vegetarians try so hard to make their food look like meat. My favorite vegetarian dish is cheese tortellini with marinara and a healthy dose of Parmesiano Reggiano on top. It looks nothing like meat and still is delicious. If being a vegetarian is so great then why do they have to disguise their food to mimic meat? Why can't they eat great food that just happens to not be made from meat. Quinoa with spring veggies and a peanut sauce sounds delicious. Soy turkey bacon sounds like you tried an experiment on the island of Dr. Moreau.

But vegetarianism is a personal thing, almost never proselytized as far as I know.

I live in CO, it is very stronly proselytized, have you ever heard of PETA?!

I love veggies, grow them organically.

But don't mess with me by suggesting my BBQ, Strip Steak, or Burgers aren't fantastic, especially with homebrew.

As long as vegetarians aren't anti-meat for others (I have a sister who is that way), I will let them eat their veggies without complaint.

Is there a veggie that goes especially well with beer?:mug:

I might have gotten more love here (no charity please :) by explaining what triggered my rant. The head of a fast growing mock-meat company is working to get meat departments eliminated from supermarkets in favor of "protein departments" which of course gives them equal billing. I would hate to see this done in my or vegetarians name. I suppose it starts in Whole Foods, then western states may mandate this for all markets along with a cola ban?

Someone asked for the best veggie dish to go with beer. As a sweet cider and soda guy, I don't know what goes with bitter. But for the most compatible thing to co-exist in your gut with beer... humans are biologically starchivarians (carnivores have much shorter guts to move sketchy stuff out fast), so maybe that means pasta or rice. May I suggest a veggie spanish rice, with both white and brown for absorbency and steady release of brewed products into the bloodstream?

Are you its going to start in whole foods or assuming it would start at whole foods? We have one in Birmingham that I love going to. No where else I've seen can you shop while drinking a beer:) We don't go often because of the distance, if they started some crap like that id be just as happy not going again because I've seen all too often how incrementalism works.

As a devoted omnivoure I have to say that I recently heard a heated argument between a vegan and a man on the "paleo" diet. They were equally obnoxious. Did you know that wheat literally kills nuitrition? Yes, apparently eating any wheat product will actually remove vitamins and other health benefits the body received from the other foods consumed. I had to leave... I was about to knock them both out.

Look, if Morning Star wants to lobby for their product to be in the meat aisle I dont really have much of a problem with that, to be totally honest. I would still insist we call it the meat aisle.

I'm no specimen of health (or of healthy living) but it seems to me that the most healthful way to eat is moderate portions of many kinds of foods including meats, vegetables/fruits, and starches. Striving to find the right ratio of one to the other is a worthwhile endevour, as is knowing what foods belong in which category. Its when we start actively trying to whittle foods away that seems to cause problems.

.......... Make your own meat alternative that transcends meat! However if this involves mushrooms, ignore the common myth that they shouldn't be washed. They're often grown in horse crap for goodness sakes, and it is a proveable falsehood that they get soggy if you wash them. Just some ideas that may hit home for do it yourselfers.

Only the white button mushrooms are grown on COMPOSTED manure. Actually it composted straw bedding with some manure in it, and that is just part of the mix. There should be no manure on white button mushrooms. What you might see is peat moss. After the mycelia has grown for 3-4 weeks in the compost, it is covered with several inches of peat moss. This stimulates the fungus to produce "fruiting" bodies which form on top of the peat moss. They do not push up through it. This is no worse that eating vegetables from an organic farm that uses manure as a fertilizer, which is extremely common on organic farms.

Also, sauteing wet mushrooms, results more in simmering mushrooms. They cook very differently then dry ones, but if that is what you like, go for it.

What's the appeal of meat? For about 18 million years it was a key part of human existence. For 18 Million years things like dairy, grains, and the sort were at most the tiniest part of the human diet, more likely non-existent.

The problem with meat today is the product not the basis. Good pasture raised grassfed beef is healthy for you. It gives you fat (which is needed) it's Omega 3 and 6 balanced, and it's got a decent amount of protein. It's anti-inflammatory as well.

Companies make veggie products look like meat to entice consumers into trying it. It's the gate way meat. Like soyrizo, yummy!

I don't eat fast food and I don't drink soda or juice. Just beer, coffee and water.
I keep my food simple.That other stuff is just so bad for your health. I do eat meat maybe 1-2 times a week. Everything in moderation, i guess.

It's funny, I have been eating like crap the last few weeks. I know it's time for a Juice Cleanse. I can honestly say that bad food makes you feel bad. I try to keep myself healthy to minimize long term health concerns and to avoid throwing my money to insurance companies/doctors.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QqQVll-MP3I?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I can say that when I eat only meat for a while I never get cravings for veggies.
But when I eat only veggies for a while I do get cravings for MEAT!

I crave veggies when I am not getting enough of them and meat when I am not getting enough of that( which is extremely rare).

Back