No sludge after primary finished

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inter01

Reaction score
Only my second brew, but I am brewing a Hefe currently. OG was good when tested for 4 straight days. When I went to bottle today (spent 3 weeks in primary---no secondary), there was not any sludge on the top of the brew, but there was some sludge residue on the side of the bucket. Upon transferring to my bottling bucket, there was about 1/2 of thick, white sludge at the bottom. Do I have anything to worry about or am I overreacting? Thanks!

No worries. That is what you should expect. The krausen on top settled back in the beer and went to the bottom with the flocculated yeast. The gunk on the sides is from the krausen too.

You're lucky. That's the goal. Of course it's no big deal when there *is* sludge either... But when there's no sludge that's just all the better.

Btw. It's not called "OG" after the first day. OG is "original gravity" (what it started as at the very beginning). SG is "specific gravity" (what it was at any particular time). And FG is "final gravity" (what it ended up as at the very end).

If you do have sludge on the surface or the wort at bottling time then you may have something to worry about. It generally means that fermentation is still happening or that you have an infection. (Generally but not always.)

Sludge on the side of the fermenter and on the bottom are normal and signs that everything went well.

Latest posts

Back