Yeast still actively moving/circulating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheYachtmaster

Reaction score
Hey, first post here, pretty new brewer.

Used google and the search function, couldn't really find anything.

Brewed a wit about two weeks ago (5th brew of mine).

Used one vial liquid yeast (100 billion cells), fermented like crazy the first week, pretty active blowoff.

I'd like to bottle it now, heard that that can be a good thing with wits (getting them out fresh I mean) but in the carboy there are still chunks of yeast floating around and moving/circulating, whatever you call it.

Does that mean it isn't done fermenting? I don't really have any gravity readings to go off and I haven't been checking on it a lot lately, so I'm not sure exactly how active the blowoff is still.

Would love to bottle this and move on haha.

Thanks for the help.

Wellll...

Without gravity readings no can advise you what direction to go...
Some will rack after 2 weeks and no readings and never have a problem
Some will wait 4 weeks without readings.

Me personally would never even TRY to bottle something i wasent sure is done fermenting. (Exploding glass hurts/kills)
Grab a cheap hydrometor and ATLEAST measure your FG and see if your near the proper range for you recipe.

Best i can offer!

Some brews will just chug along for a long time. If it is still fermenting you cannot bottle it. If you are still seeing activity,then it is not done.

Give it a few more days, take a gravity reading. Then a few days after that take another reading. That is the only to know if it is done.

Latest posts

Back