Got my first infection... I think

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shred

Former Microbrewery Founder & Pro Brewer
Reaction score
I just went to pop one of my ESB's into the fridge to test it tomorrow and noticed it was kinda filmy around the neck. I swirled it around and there is definitely something going on.

Curiosity (and annoyance) got the best of me and I poured it warm. No remarkably off odor. A little stuff floating around, I guess. Mostly looks like a normal beer.

It hissed nicely when I opened it but the carbonation is more like a soda than a beer. Very tight bubbles and no head retention or lacing (could this be because it's warm?).

Anyway, it doesn't taste bad. It's a bit brown-sugary in flavor and lacking in the hops department (that was probably the recipe).

I'm wondering if I infected it when I used the same siphon that I used for my Lambic-Style sour (and bleach-bombed the hell out of).

The pic below isn't great, but it's the best I could get through the bottle. It's not all that interesting to look at in glass.

Could it be a brett infection that hasn't soured yet? I'm thinking I'll drink most of them quickly, but save a few for 6 months or so to see if it sours.

Thoughts?

mNHf2uW.jpg

Latest posts

Back