4th batch...a little worried at the lack of activity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MemphisGrizz

Reaction score
Making a malt extract Pumpkin ale, and I am used to going to bed and then waking up to a lot of activity in the morning.

However, so far, I am not seeing much activity. I re-hydrated my yeast: Boiled one cup of water, let it get down to about 80 degrees, poured the yeast in a jar with the water/covered it, let it sit for 15 min, stirred it, let it sit for another 25 minutes or so while waiting for the wort to fall below 80 degrees. However, I became impatient because the wort was staying right around 79-80 degrees and pitched the yeast before letting it get a little cooler.

Then, as I was sealing it, for the second time (did this on my first batch...) I made the mistake of putting the fermentation lock into my bucket after it was sealed and pushed the grommet into my brew. I had to scrub my arm down with the cleaning agent that I bought at my local brew shop, and I reached in and quickly pulled the grommet out.

Could any of the above actions have damaged my yeast/fermentation? It is in a dark closet at around 76 degrees now so I'm hoping I don't have to pitch more yeast.

I'm sure I just need to be patient, but, since I started re-hydrating my yeast, I've become accustomed to seeing faster results.

While that temp is on the warm side, I doubt you screwed up your batch. On my 3rd brew, I was worried because I didn't see any activity in the airlock for a couple days. Turned out the lid wasn't pushed all the way down on one section, and fermentation had already been going on (had a krausen already). Give it a few days. How long has it been since you pitched?

I pitched it around midnight...I know I'm supposed to "relax and have a homebrew", but my OCD is not allowing it.

I have triple checked that my fermenter was sealed; however, I may double check that I put the grommet back in well (without pushing it back in).

My main concern was the warm temperatures and the whole having to stick my arm into the wort AFTER pitching the yeast :(.

My first batch went alright, and my second and third went GREAT. Hoping this one isn't my first dud. Sorry for the early posting/impatience. I'll update this thread if it is looking better in the next 24-48 hours.

Just took a look at it on my lunch break, and everything is going well! Sorry for bothering the forum with a pre-mature question. I'll be more careful about it next time (though I'm glad for the feedback telling me that the above factors weren't fatal to my yeast).

You drove home on your lunch break to check your beer? That's dedication. No go back to work, relax, and have a few homebrews before closin' time.

Back