New Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schrockmo

Reaction score
Hello All! First let me say I love the forum. I've been reading for a while. I'm new to home brewing. I've brewed two batches, an American Pale Ale and a Summer Ale. Both from kits. Both turned out better than I expected and I am really enjoying myself. I stumbled upon a recipe here that says to rack to a terrtiary <sp>. My question is what is a terrtiary? Sorry for the lack of knowledge, but any help would be appreciated!

Tertiary would be one step beyond a secondary - so a third fermentor. There might be a reason for that, do you have a link to the recipe? Generally, though, you can accomplish just about everything you need to do with only primary (though there are exceptions and differences of opinion on that).

Congrats on your first two beers. You chose two great recipes to start with.
:mug:

Thanks for the quick response! The recipe is on the forum. It's for Succulent Strawberry Blond, all extract. I found it in the recipe section and thought I'd brew it for a summertime drink.

Thanks for the quick response! The recipe is on the forum. It's for Succulent Strawberry Blond, all extract. I found it in the recipe section and thought I'd brew it for a summertime drink.

I had a feeling that was the recipe in question. The tertiary is needed for this beer. Follow the instructions per the recipe and you will be fine. Then when you make the jump to all grain, find the Wild Strawberry Blonde thread. Basically it is the same beer, but the All Grain version. Damn good beers! Go for it. :mug:

So basically if I understand correctly, I could primary in a carboy, rack onto strawberries in a bucket and then rack back to the carboy. Sound about right?

That's it exactly. Preferably a smaller carboy for tertiary than primary. Head space is preferred during primary but not so much when aging. If you don't have a smaller carboy, don't worry about it. It won't make a big difference. The important part is letting is age at least 2 weeks in tertiary. This beer is very tart and mellows with age. If you have any questions about the beer when brewing it, post them in the recipe thread. Bluelinebrewer and I monitor it pretty closely and there are a few other regulars in there that can help as well.

Again thank you very much! I only have the one carboy...for now, so that will have to do. I will share my experience in the other thread when I brew this!

Back