Krausen questions (greenhorn here)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, just added some hops to my fresh squished IPA kit from Northern Brewer a week into primary fermentation as directed by the recipe. The Krausen has since turned into a greenish sludge and white residue is building in the bottom of the fermentor - also co2 activity has dramatically slowed nearly stopped completely. I assume this is normal but I'm new to the process and wanted to get feedback from more experienced guys unless I'm wrong.

Attachments

• F2F7CF82-6A5D-453B-9987-593F68FD3F2F.jpeg
    F2F7CF82-6A5D-453B-9987-593F68FD3F2F.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 51
Yep, Looks good to me too. My guess(reasonably educated) is the "White sludge" at the bottom is the yeast starting to flocculate out, along with any break and hop material. The greenish sludge at top is some of the "dry" hop material getting caught in the krausen. It should settle a bit, but you are going to need to do a good soaking clean of your fermenter before the next batch.

I hope is comes out good and welcome to the hobby.

Last edited:
Hey guys, just added some hops to my fresh squished IPA kit from Northern Brewer a week into primary fermentation as directed by the recipe. The Krausen has since turned into a greenish sludge and white residue is building in the bottom of the fermentor - also co2 activity has dramatically slowed nearly stopped completely. I assume this is normal but I'm new to the process and wanted to get feedback from more experienced guys unless I'm wrong.

I am about 25 batches into the 'hobby' and still shudder when i see the krausen etc. I cannot belive how THAT becomes clean delicous beer... but time conditioning is like magic!
But as khannon points out above... it needs some soak time! If you have PBW it will soak off in a day. Little elbow grease required.

Back