Krausen color

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elgatovolador

Reaction score
Got a cream ale fermenting at the moment and it’s my first time I’ve seen krausen be white...just thought it was curious.

Anyways, it got me thinking if different yeast strains produce different looking kinds of krausen?

Cream Ale Krausen (Wyeast 1007)
IMG_4383.JPG

Cascade Mountain IPA Krausen (Wyeast 1272)
IMG_3758.JPG

The color of the krausen depends on the color of the grains used to make the wort. If you use a lot of chocolate malt, you get a very dark krausen. A wheat beer with no darker grains will be very white. The color of your krausen looks appropriate for a cream ale.

The color of the krausen depends on the color of the grains used to make the wort. If you use a lot of chocolate malt, you get a very dark krausen. A wheat beer with no darker grains will be very white. The color of your krausen looks appropriate for a cream ale.

Makes sense.

I assume the amount of hops used in the Boil would not make a difference to the Krausen color. However if dry hopping it contribute to the krausen color making it green/brown.

Makes sense.

I assume the amount of hops used in the Boil would not make a difference to the Krausen color. However if dry hopping it contribute to the krausen color making it green/brown.

You can end up with a sort of mottled color krausen depending on how much hop residue you have in your wort, a mix of olive green and white or tan. I used to have a pic of how that looks, but I must have deleted it. The first time you ever see that it's almost impossible to believe you don't have an infection, but it's not infected. It's just....normal.

EDITED: Here's one I found on HBT.

IMAG_0123.jpg

Back