Kitchen stovetop induction BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got a chance to brew. Went smoothly and was only .004 off on pre boil and OG, and I will definitely take that. Mash process was really no big deal.

Biggest issue I encountered today was my wort was not as cool as I thought it was. Likely combo of temp probe being in contact with chiller, temperature variations throughout kettle, and my trying to rush a little and not taking final temp after transfer but before pitching. If I’d taken a second to check again I would’ve caught it but was up against dinner time. No big deal lesson learned with new equipment. Depending on where I took the reading on fermenter I was anywhere from 77-82 instead of the low 70s I thought I was at. This was a saison with 3711 so should be slightly more forgiving of this than other things.

My setup today was kettle on the stove, then cooler sitting on a chair just to the side of the stove. Vorlauf, collect mash/sparge runnings with another vessel, then pour into back to kettle. This probably seems obvious to most, but again wanted to provide example for someone in the future with similar dilemma I had. Though this adds a vessel it has a high degree of versatility.

Thanks for everyone’s help!
Awesome! And I can definitely relate to the chiller being too close to a temp probe. I've had several mid sixty degree worts magically jump to the mid seventies in the fermenter. :eek:

Biggest issue I encountered today was my wort was not as cool as I thought it was. Likely combo of temp probe being in contact with chiller, temperature variations throughout kettle, and my trying to rush a little and not taking final temp after transfer but before pitching. If I’d taken a second to check again I would’ve caught it but was up against dinner time. No big deal lesson learned with new equipment. Depending on where I took the reading on fermenter I was anywhere from 77-82 instead of the low 70s I thought I was at. This was a saison with 3711 so should be slightly more forgiving of this than other things.

When you are heating water for your beer, natural convection keeps it pretty well mixed so the temperature variation is small throughout the kettle. Cooling is different and I have been caught with wort that was warmer than I thought going into the fermenter. When you cool wort the coolest is the most dense so it goes to the bottom and wants to stay there rather than circulate. If your thermometer is near the chiller or in the middle of the kettle near the bottom it will show that the wort is cool but the top center can be quite a bit warmer. I now put my thermometer near the top center so I get the reading of the warmest wort as when it is cool enough to pitch the yeast, all the wort will be cool enough.

Back