Kickstarter for SS Mash Tun, Kettle and Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd imagine they are out of stock now, as everything leftover from the Kickstarter has been sold out, and they've not yet placed a new order with the manufacturer.

Yes, this is exactly what's going on. I just met with the manufacturer a few weeks ago, went over some minor changes, and have put in an order. Production and freight takes time so April is still the expected arrival date, but there's a small chance we could be pushed into May if there are unexpected delays.

With as good as their customer service had been, I'm a little surprised there has not been an update on the corrosion issue with the bottom bulkheads. My original had it, then the replacement had it. One would have to assume others have it as well.

Honestly, I'm not sure how widespread this issue has been. A lot of the ports I've examined have seemed to be fine, and we haven't heard from any other customers about it. Regardless, I've gone over the details with the manufacturer and this will not be an issue in the future.

On another note, with these tuns being made with 201 stainless, would etching volume markings on the inside be a concern? It's not a deal breaker, but just thought I'd ask.

We still won't have volume markings on the mash tuns, but if you want to go ahead and add them yourself, there will be no difference between 201 and 304. Just be sure to repassivate the areas after etching.

Is the next shipment of 15 gallon tuns going to have true 1/2" bulkheads on it?

We are sticking with the reduced 3/8" inner ports. Consensus seems to be that it doesn't really make a functional difference for flow rates in a brewing system as discussed in this thread. Also, the included bushings allow for attachments of either 3/8" or 1/2" NPT fittings, which is ideal for flexibility in adding attachments.

As far as leaving wort behind, could one just use a different false bottom/pick up tube setup?

Some brewers have preferred to replace the false bottoms, and I don't really have a problem with that. The one we include works for most people, but in all honesty, they are pretty basic. Rather than do a redesign and up the retail price, we have chosen to go in the other direction. We are planning on offering the ThermoBarrels with torpedo tubes instead of false bottoms. We will also be making the thermometer optional. The changes will make the vessel more affordable with plenty of options for customized configurations.

The new pricing is not set in stone yet, but I'm hoping to be able to drop the price of the 15 gallon ThermoBarrel to $364.99. It will still be sold with three ports, ready for upgrades, and as a fully functional unit off the shelf. True to the goal of our Kickstarter, affordability is one of our top priorities. Also, I appreciate all the feedback I get from this thread. So just because I like you guys, remind me in April and I'll see if I can put together a discount code for you as well.

Has anyone else had issues with the fermenter seal on the 7 GAL? Currently brewing a double IPA using gigayeast Vermont ipa and it seems to have blown out through the lid seal. I would have expected it to push the hose out before doing this

Latest posts

Back