Kegging with Manifold Setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerAddikt

Expert Beer Quaffer
Reaction score
So I'm still relatively new to kegging and am expanding my setup from a single keg to two corny's but as I'm piecing together the manifold and tubing I realized that on kegging day I will have some issues.

I currently bring my CO2 tank, regulator and single tubing assembly in to the house so I can push hot water and starsan through the system to clean before I gravity transfer to the keg and then use the system again to purge O2.

I just realized that once I install the 2 way manifold that bringing in the CO2 tank and regulator is now more complicated due to a manifold and two gas tubing assembly's coming along for the ride.

Any ideas on how to simplify things or how others tackle this issue? I was thinking about getting some gas quick disconnects and another tubing assembly but I'm trying to keep cost down and I'm not interested in removing the tubing from the barbs every time.

Get a second C02 tank and regulator.

You'll have one that is easily movable for purging kegs, traveling, etc, without having to disassemble your kegerator setup, and when the tank on your kegerator goes completely empty you'll have a backup ready to immediately swap, and can refill the other when it is convenient.

Also, my standard kegerator, at least, will hold three cornys. It is tight, but it works. I'd get a 3 way manifold.
This is the right move. When I expanded from 1 to 2 kegs I only installed a 2 way manifold. Not long after that I started to realize that it would be super convenient if I didn't have to disconnect one keg every time I wanted to charge a third keg.

I like the second tank and regulator idea. A pricier option but I do need a second tank.

Get a second C02 tank and regulator.

You'll have one that is easily movable for purging kegs, traveling, etc, without having to disassemble your kegerator setup, and when the tank on your kegerator goes completely empty you'll have a backup ready to immediately swap, and can refill the other when it is convenient.
This... All day.

While I am not about wasting money on unnecessary brew gear, a portable (10# in my case) co2 tank and reg is invaluable. When your main kegerator tank goes out or if you need portability for whatever reason, which there are many, it is a no brainier.

My kegerator has a 20# dual reg for water/beer and I have the backup for portablability, pressure testing kegs, fermenting under pressure or closed transfers, it is worth it to make your life easier.

As others have said, the convenience of a second tank and regulator made it worth the extra cost for me. My kegorator can hold 4x 5gal kegs, I use a 3 way manifold, and the 4th keg is hooked up to nitro.

between the manifold and the regulator I also added a "T" that branches to a separate c02 ball lock. I use this to either hook up a 4th keg if I am not running a Nitro beer. mainly though I use it as a hookup to quickly run PBW and/or starsan through my beer lines for cleaning. I just hook up an extra 2.5gal ball lock keg filled with cleaner and just swap the beer lines without having to disconnect any other kegs

Back