Beginner help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimjamin

Reaction score
I am interested in trying to make my own wine, my boyfriend is into home brewing beers and after awhile you just get a little tired of the same old thing you know?
My only thing is I don't know step one about how to go about starting the process of making a wine or the materials I would even need. I would really like it if someone could point me in the direction of a good tutorial for making a simple but delicious wine, maybe like a Riesling?
Any help would be sincerely appreciated!
Thank you.

The different grape wines are defined by the type of grapes used. Riesling is a grape variety.

I hear that white grape wines are somewhat simpler than reds as you can make a good white wine with just juice (as I understand it). Somebody more versed in wines will have to have to fill in the details.

There are very good wine kits available for most any variety of wine that you would like to make. I am going to embark on a Merlot kit later this summer as soon as my carboys clear out, can't wait. This will be my first grape wine.

I've had good results with the Vino Italiano kits on amazon. If you get one though go with the reccommendations from others and do 5 gal, not 6 gal like the kit calls for, batches. I was/am like you and didn't know the first thing about doing it, but just follow the directions and it should come out great or at least drinkable ;-) I've done 3 kits now, and they've all turned out great. Plus if your BF already brews beer, and you do the 5 gal Vino Italiano kits, you won't need any new equipment! Although I would reccommend getting a wine wand for degassing. I couldn't imagine degassing without one.

I am interested in trying to make my own wine, my boyfriend is into home brewing beers and after awhile you just get a little tired of the same old thing you know?
My only thing is I don't know step one about how to go about starting the process of making a wine or the materials I would even need. I would really like it if someone could point me in the direction of a good tutorial for making a simple but delicious wine, maybe like a Riesling?
Any help would be sincerely appreciated!
Thank you.

Regarding the equipment, your boyfriend probably has almost, if not all of the equipment. The trick will be getting an empty carboy :D

I've not done recipe kits, but I THINK most will need a 6.5 gallon carboy. Most beer brewers seem to use 5 gallons, so you may need another one if you want to do a recipe kit.

Alternatively, I've had pretty good (getting better) success with fresh fruit. You can make wine out of just about any fruit (my granddad actually used tomato with amazing results), so are you interested in only grapes?

I'll run through the basics of using fresh fruit, someone can please correct me if I miss something/give misinformation.

If you're using fresh fruit, you'll likely need to start in a bucket. Get a straining bag and add your fruit. Dissolve sugar into water, and add Tannin, Pectic Enzyme, and Campden Tablets. Let the fruit sit for about a day, then add the yeast and yeast nutrient. After about a week, get as much juice you can out of your fresh fruit, and discard the pulp. Transfer to a carboy for a few months and rack when necessary. When it's clear, you're ready to bottle.

One of the biggest differences in the process between making beer and wine is the bottling. With beer, you want to keep the yeast alive and feed it while it's in the bottle to produce carbonation. With wine, you want the yeast dead/unable to reproduce, so as you're ready to bottle, you'll want to add some Campden tablets (potassium metabisulfate) and potassium carbonate. These will work to kill the yeast and act as a birth control for the remaining yeast to prevent reproduction. Remember, too much carbonation (yeast eating sugar) equals big boom.

After you've killed your yeast, you can do something called "back-sweetening" your wine. You can adjust the amount of sugar (or frozen juice concentrate) and make it however sweet you want it to be. Since the yeast is gone, the sugar will remain and won't be fermented.

That's just a quick/basic run down of the process. You'll find some better resources online, I tend to use E.C. Krauss's articles a lot.

A high quality kit is the way to learn. You will need a larger fermentation bucket and a 6G carboy, plus a wine whip or other degassing tool. I believe Northern Brewer has a kit for brewers, it is a great kit.

A good kit can be $180, but if you recycle bottles, that makes 30 bottles for $6 each. It is a much greater savings than brewing is. And, if you buy a great kit, the wine will be great. It is easier than brewing for sure. Good luck!

I will chime in and say that it is usually recommended that you do not interchange winemaking equipment with brewing gear. Brewers tend to use chlorine-based cleaners/sanitizers, which is avoided like the plague by the majority of winemakers, TCA/cork taint is bad news. Plus if your brewer has ever worked with 'brett', a winemaker runs screaming.... Just something to consider.

+1 on reading the Jack Keller info, a great starting point.

Thanks for all of the tips, looks like I'm going to look into one of the simpler kits and see how it goes!
Much appreciated!

You could try by making a wine with your own fruit. Rhubarb, strawberry, elderflower (champagne) and pineapple make very nice and simple wines. A good blog I found recently was called www.lovelygreens.com - you'll just love how simple it is ; -) enjoy.

Also, if you are looking for something dirt simple and delicious, Apfelwein is about as good as it gets. Apple juice, sugar, and time. Done. I believe it is technically a cider but it comes out like a dry apple-y white wine.

It is only cider till the ABV gets so high, not sure what the exact number is...but after a point it is wine.

Back