Safale S-04

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galc

Reaction score
Last time I used Safale S-04 and I got Cidery taste. And I think reason could be not use enough yeast.
So how much of Safale s-04 should I use for 6 gallon batch?

Could I get rid of this taste when it is already bottled?

I'm familiar with this strain , since I've used it by my previous batches .

The Cidery taste comes from Esters and that's probably because You fermented at upper recommended temperature range of this strain .

You'd better keep the fermentation temperature at low 60's .

What's the O.G. of your batch ?

One sachet of S-04 contains 11.5 Grams of it and it's enough for 5-8 Gallons .

Hector

i've used it around 6 times now and i never had any issues. i keep the fermenting temp below 68f and have brewed a few beers around the 1.060 range with out issues with 1 package of the yeast. i think that's 11g or so.

The Cidery taste comes from Esters and that's probably because You fermented at upper recommended temperature range of this strain .

That is true, I did ferment at upper recommended temperature range (75F) - so that should be reason for my cidery taste. It seems that is one of my beginners mistake which is good to know - Thanks, I appreciate your help!

Is there a way to get rid of this taste when it is bottled already?

You didn't mention if you used extract. In my experience, going from extract/partial mash to all-grain had more of an impact than the type of yeast or temperature (I’ve never had the temp get way out of line but certainly into the low-mid 70s). If going all-grain is not an option, going heavy on the high alpha hops can also help the cideryness, and it will dissipate with time. Most brewers give themselves high marks for a brews that don’t need time for such defects to fade. So, its something to shoot for.

I've gotten pretty clean ferments (never any cidery flavor) out of S-04, but I start it in the low 60's, keep it there 5-7 days and then slowly bring it up to 68*F to finish.

One 11g packet should be fine for 6 gallons of wort below 1.060 or so gravity so long as you rehydrate it in warm (boiled then chilled to 95-100*F) tap water 20 min prior to pitching.

If the cidery taste is due to warm ferment temps (and yours were), additional time for bottle conditioning should get rid of the acetaldehyde causing it. I'd give it another month and then sample a bottle. Sometimes cidery taste is due to an aceto bacteria infection. If that's the case, it won't condition out.

Back