Ghost Chili Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

froggyman

Reaction score
Hi all, I just brewed my first beer(a brewers best porter) and added two dried Bhut Jolokia in the secondary(2 weeks ago) my main concern is that the chili heat is to much in the fore front of the beer..will bottle conditioning it help mellow the heat?

Do you like Ghost Chilis? If you do, then it will be fine. If you don't, then what were you thinking? :D

Well, if you're overwhelmed by it, I'm in trouble. I'll be putting 1/2 a bhut each in two 1 gallon secondaries.

That said, if you didn't want the heat to be flat out stupid and out of balance I don't know why you'd use Bhut instead of a milder pepper... I was going for stupid hot.

It's not the heat that is the problem of where it shows in the flavor profile I was looking for the porter flavor to come through first then heat..as it stands it's more of burn then chocolate porter taste...definitely a sipping beer

I grow ghost peppers and chocolate habs and naga vipers.That being said you may have went overboard.

Haha I think so too.. it's still drinkable but not quite how I envisioned it..definitely an interesting beer!

The ghost chili adds a nice smoky back end with a decent heat build up. We eat them raw here and are used to the heat. Some may find it a bit hot but nothing overwhelming. We used 4 in our porter and it worked out well. If you are buying or growing these then heat should not a problem at all. Hell our chilis have 20 red habaneros and 8 ghost chilis.

The ghost chili adds a nice smoky back end with a decent heat build up. We eat them raw here and are used to the heat. Some may find it a bit hot but nothing overwhelming. We used 4 in our porter and it worked out well. If you are buying or growing these then heat should not a problem at all. Hell our chilis have 20 red habaneros and 8 ghost chilis.

Ouch. How much chili are we talking about? I have no problem handling eating a raw ghost, but 8 of em seems a bit excessive :mug:

Ouch. How much chili are we talking about? I have no problem handling eating a raw ghost, but 8 of em seems a bit excessive :mug:

An 8 quart pan :) We like to sweat. Every spoonful is a fireball but it tastes so good ya can't stop :eek:

First beer/bhut jolokia...

Well.....that is one way to learn. The slow way to be sure, but learn nonetheless you will.

Alcohol and capsaicin are an insane collaboration.

Imagine that capsaicin is measured in IBU's....

a 4 million IBU beer is bitter as hell, but your tongue can't taste all of it.

Heat is different. The ghost pepper is 4 million IBUs if you bite into one, but your tongue can only taste so much as you froth and choke.

5 gallons of beer will take all of that heat and spread it out. Getting ALL of it.

Your beer will be a novelty.

People who put 8 bhuts in chili and "all of the other people around" like it are not human like you or me. You don't even find those kind of humans in a fire house. My chili is too hot for the firemen I know.

Your tongue can only taste so much until you get used to it then after awhile you get to taste all the other flavors you would otherwise miss. There is alot of flavors even fruity flavors in all that hotness.

Down at the beach a couple weeks ago, an ice cream spot on the boardwalk had a ghost chili ice cream (or rather, I think it was a vanilla ice cream with ghost chilis and strawberries added). That was an experience. If you want to taste the flavor without the full blast of heat, that's a decent way to do it. Cuts the heat down a good ways (although still very spicy).

Apparently no one ever orders a cup of it. They didn't believe me after I got the free sample and wanted to actually pay for more of it.

I've actually never done a pepper beer. So I'm curious what the results will be with mine (splitting up into separate secondaries with either Jalapenos, Serranos, Habs, Ghost, and one with all four of em)

First beer/bhut jolokia...

Well.....that is one way to learn. The slow way to be sure, but learn nonetheless you will.

Alcohol and capsaicin are an insane collaboration.

Imagine that capsaicin is measured in IBU's....

a 4 million IBU beer is bitter as hell, but your tongue can't taste all of it.

Heat is different. The ghost pepper is 4 million IBUs if you bite into one, but your tongue can only taste so much as you froth and choke.

5 gallons of beer will take all of that heat and spread it out. Getting ALL of it.

Your beer will be a novelty.

People who put 8 bhuts in chili and "all of the other people around" like it are not human like you or me. You don't even find those kind of humans in a fire house. My chili is too hot for the firemen I know.

I wanted to make something I couldn't buy at the store..kinda reminds me of strong Jamaican ginger beer

I wanted to make something I couldn't buy at the store..kinda reminds me of strong Jamaican ginger beer

I get it. I did a brew with 6 habaneros.

I "liked" it. Only the most chili headed friends of my chili head friends could even drink it. A good bit of it ended up as marinade...hmmmmm......actually that was pretty awesome, so I retract my novelty comment;).

If you like it, fine, but your op seemed to be asking "will the heat lessen?", the answer is a resounding NO. 13 months later that bastard was every bit as hot.

froggyman said:
Hi all, I just brewed my first beer(a brewers best porter) and added two dried Bhut Jolokia in the secondary(2 weeks ago) my main concern is that the chili heat is to much in the fore front of the beer..will bottle conditioning it help mellow the heat?

My buddy brewed a habanero beer and used 3 habs in a purée. It was well balanced with a even burn on the backside. I'd prolly die with ghost peppers!

Latest posts

Back