Question about boiling Wort!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zrab11

Reaction score
Ok this might sound like a dumb question. But what is the typical temp you want to hit for doing a 60 min boil. Obviously water only Boils at 212 degrees. But the last batch I made I was able to keep a slow roiling boil and the water was only in the 160-170 range. So should I shoot for 212 the whole 60 min or how ever Long I am doing my boil or what temp should I shoot for. I know that I ONLY steep grains at below 170 but what about the rest of the beer making process. Thanks for any advice on my question.

I copied this from another site for you, hope it helps.

Why Boil the Wort

To ensure the wort to free from bacteria. Plain and simple by boiling the bacteria that can cause your beer to go off will be killed. You are in effect sanitising the wort.

Primarily the boil length will be dictated by the amount of bitterness you want to extract from the hops. As the alpha acids in the hops are not very soluble they require boiling for around an hour to utilize a desirable amount of the bitterness.

The hot break occurs during the early stages of the boil. You will notice when the wort is close to boiling large amounts of foam on top and small clumps forming in the wort. This is caused by proteins coagulating together. This together with the cold break, will help to ensure the beer doesn’t have any haze when bottled.

Di-methyl Sulfide is present in the wort and evaporates during the boiling process. This is a sulfur compound and will add a vegetal aroma to the beer if present in large enough amounts. It also occurs if the wort is cooled slowly. Although in some lagers it is desirable you can avoid this off-taste occurring by having a good rolling boil with the boiler uncovered so it can evaporate.

Your boil should be awfully close to 212 degrees. Altitude can mess with this by a few degrees but not too much. If you are boiling at 160 -170 check your thermometer. Scratch that...chuck your thermometer, get a new one, and check that one.

Unless you live atop Mt Everest, your temp measurement was surely off. Boiling of wort occurs slightly above 212F due to the sugars in solution.

After boiling begins and the hot break subsides, set the burner to maintain a rolling boil and don't worry about the temps.

Your boil should be awfully close to 212 degrees. Altitude can mess with this by a few degrees but not too much. If you are boiling at 160 -170 check your thermometer. Scratch that...chuck your thermometer, get a new one, and check that one.

+1. Either your thermometer is broken or the operator is reading it incorrectly.

Boiling is boiling- the temperature doesn't matter. Where I live, wort boils at 209F. If the wort is boiling with a rolling boil, you don't need to check the temperature because it really doesn't make a difference.

If you live in a super high elevation, you may need to boil longer but unless you live near Mt. Denali, I think you'd be fine to just "boil". Not a simmer, but a real rolling boil is required.

Ok this might sound like a dumb question. But what is the typical temp you want to hit for doing a 60 min boil. Obviously water only Boils at 212 degrees. But the last batch I made I was able to keep a slow roiling boil and the water was only in the 160-170 range. So should I shoot for 212 the whole 60 min or how ever Long I am doing my boil or what temp should I shoot for. I know that I ONLY steep grains at below 170 but what about the rest of the beer making process. Thanks for any advice on my question.

For most beers we want a "Rolling Boil" for an hour, As stated by others.

But some beers styles use a 90 minute boil.

Also, I went to a talk recently by Mitch Steele

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1938469003/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

and he said the original IPA's were cooked a a low boil so the beer would not darken... (Mallard reactions and such I think...)

Last edited by a moderator:
No way you had a boil at 160-170. Simmering temperature (when you begin to see tiny bubbles on the bottom of the pot) is above 180. Calibrate the thermometer you used. It is most likely very off.

Back