Questions about Brett Infections

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mozart

Reaction score
I just bottled a brew today, and wish I had a picture to share, but I wonder if it might have had a minor Brett infection.

The pictures I've seen in the "Post your infections" thread here of Brett show really large bubbles atop the wort. Has anyone ever had bubbles that big that weren't some kind of infection?

Mine only had two of those large bubbles, the other bubbles looking small and normal to me -- so I'm wondering if it was a minor infection.

Of course that wasn't my only trouble bottling today. When I transferred the wort atop my priming sugar in my bottling bucket, I left the bottling bucket spigot open.

Doh! Wort on the floor. :(

And perhaps an undercarbed brew as I lost some of the priming sugar. I thought, for a very fleeting moment, to add a bit more sugar, but then immediately realized that path had one problem.

How much sugar to add? How much did I lose?

Ah well, so, I just went ahead and bottled-er-up as is. We'll see what it tastes like in a couple/few weeks.

Cheers!

I had a brett infection.

What I noticed wasn't so much the bubble size but that there was a very definite chalky white skin evenly spread over the surface. If you have it you *definitely* notice itand think something is wrong. (So if you aren't sure something is wrong, it probably isn't... although some hop oils look a little funky; but the actual brett was a skin and it went *over* everything.)

I had a brett infection.

What I noticed wasn't so much the bubble size but that there was a very definite chalky white skin evenly spread over the surface. If you have it you *definitely* notice itand think something is wrong. (So if you aren't sure something is wrong, it probably isn't... although some hop oils look a little funky; but the actual brett was a skin and it went *over* everything.)

Thanks!

May have been completely normal then. The two big bubbles did look white, but I didn't have a film covering the surface. There was a small amount of oil floating on the top, but that would seem consistent with hop oil to me (not that I've brewed more than a few batches so don't know everything I'm seeing yet).

Either way, though flat and warm, I didn't notice an off or bad flavor, so it's bottled and we'll see how it turns out.

Now if only I hadn't lost some of my priming sugar to the beer gods, but ah well -- RDWHAHB.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back