Irish Moss Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwalk4

Reaction score
Hey, I am going to be using Irish Moss for the first time, its a 3.5 gallon batch. Can I use a full size tab in the last 15-20mins? Or should I cut it in half or something?

What are the possible ill effects?

Help appreciated!

Hey J,
I would generally use 1/2 for a 5 gal batch. For 3.5, I would use just under a half.

Ill effects from using too much will cause a fluffier trub thus making it less dense and harder to drop out of suspension. Less is more in this case.

Irish moss is normally used at 1 tsp per 5 gallons which means 7/10 of a tsp for 3.5 gal.

Hope this helps!

What exactly does/is Irish moss? I haven't become profecient enough in me beer making to use it. I've read a little bit abiut it.

25518 - Irish Moss is used for clarity, and I highly recommend it, unless you are brewing a beer that is supposed to be somewhat cloudy. I.e. hefeweisen

Pale ale, red ale, stout. I've heard some using it for stouts. That is where I've read about it. Not really investigating it though.

Irish Moss: dark purple edible seaweed of the Atlantic coasts of Europe and North America.

I would probably even use it for a stout, not that I will ever brew one, don't like them. I do, however use it with my Porter though, and definitely would with a Pale, although I haven't tried brewing one yet.

Porter. Mmmm, ok. Nexr brww day, I'm looking into it. Thank you.

Thanks all for the advice, beer is chug chug chugging away in the basement!

I suspect you mean whirfloc as you said a tablet? The "old school" shredded up Irish moss may be better for you if you will be brewing in these "off" sizes. I've used both and can't say I see a difference one way or another between them, but the tablet is easier for me as I brew 5 gals.

Crap, you guys just reminded me I forgot to add it to my chocolate stout and I'm bottling today...ow well...

I suspect you mean whirfloc as you said a tablet? The "old school" shredded up Irish moss may be better for you if you will be brewing in these "off" sizes. I've used both and can't say I see a difference one way or another between them, but the tablet is easier for me as I brew 5 gals.

http://www.homebrewing.org/Whirlfloc-Irish-Moss-Tablet_p_1426.html

Yes, these are the one I used, my LHBS just sells them as "Irish Moss". I thought Whirlfloc was just a brand name or something..

I had Irish moss when I started, diligently added at 15 mins for every brew. My beer was never clear, my beer always tasted green. I kept adding the moss and started waiting longer to drink my beer, it started tasting better but still not clear. I improved my process, and let my beer condition longer.... alas my beer tasted good and was clear. One day my bottle of Irish moss ran out, "oh well I'll pick some up later", that was a good 100 gallons ago. With a good process and proper conditioning time beer is delicious and clear, don't really see the use of Irish moss.

Back