first-timer from Chattanooga, Tennessee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all- I was perusing the beginner stickies for a few days and after my positive experiences on the antique side of the Corvette forum, I figured I'd better sign up here and join the fun (thereby committing myself to another addictive internet forum).

Anyway, a buddy from church gave me a couple of home brewed IPA's two weeks ago. I was hooked. I ordered a "deluxe" kit from Northern and the "Caribou Slobber" option extract kit to start.

Saturday I could hardly wait for the brewing! I made my Wort after watching the DVD twice and carefully sanitizing everything, cooled it in the ice bath, check the temp to below 90 degrees, poured it in the carboy, topped her off with water to five gallons, pitched the dry yeast (after starting it in the 100 ml warm water as directed on the package, I didn't pitch it dry).

Things started bubbling almost immediately, within a few hours. I went to the movies that night and found my coat closet full of a foam explosion (basically all the beer still in the carboy), plug and airlock laying beside. What a letdown! Since it was still erupting, I hoped it had enough positive pressure nothing "bad" got in and I moved it to the garage and put on a blowoff tube made hastily from the siphon tube shoved into the stopper, to a bowl. It bubbled continuously overnight, and then slowed. By day 3 I moved it back to the (cleaned) closet to get the temp below 78 and the Krausen has fallen back down. I also rocked it a bit with the plug covered to get the foam that was clinging to the roof of the carboy back into the beer a bit after the lower section fell back in. I'm still on the blowoff tube and may stay that way until I go to the secondary, even though I'm only getting a few bubbles, at 50 second intervals this morning.

Hopefully this beer isn't ruined, but I tried to read the stickies and everyone suggests riding it out. I sure didn't mean to ferment so fast! I know now that starting with a blowoff at least is a MUST. I'm thinking of using the secondary at day 10 just to free up my primary to start another batch in case this one is ruined.

I thought I'd avoid "asking another dumb question" that's already been answered, and just tell the sad tale in my introduction. If anyone has any advice, I've tried to lay it out there. Otherwise... I look forward to learning more and hopefully my poor start will lead to many better ones in the future!

-b

Welcome to HBT! Let the beer ride! and send me the Hanger Steak from Terra Nostra Tapas, Restaurant & Wine Bar! love that place.:rockin:

Welcome to HBT! Let the beer ride! and send me the Hanger Steak from Terra Nostra Tapas, Restaurant & Wine Bar! love that place.:rockin:

I'm gonna see where the batch takes me! If you like Terra Nostra, next time you come through you MUST look up the new Flying Squirrel it's brand new on the Southside, excellent excellent excellent tapas, craft brews, wine, etc!

It has happened to all of us, it is highly unlikely to hurt the beer.

Reading the stickies, great start. Ask lots of questions, this is a knowledgeable and helpful community. Welcome, from CO.

Thank you very sincerely for all the welcomes. I wish I had read more of this forum before turning on the stove on brew day, but it all looks ok now and I'm glad to be here!

You said something about getting it back down below 78 early in the fermentation. If you get any off flavors that would be the most likely reason IMO. Most ale yeast should be below 70. I wouldn't stress too much about the blowoff incident. Good luck!

Mental note on my way to New Orleans. Must stop by Terra Nostra Tapas or flying squirrel for a growler fill and some grub. Oh yea welcome to HBT

I got a carboy here I "tied" the stopper in with a copper wire. It kept shooting it across the room, a tapered stopper in a glass bottle. I think I am going to convert to a large dia pvc hose stuck into the neck.

I'm still building my brew kit here. Wired it up in the basement, bought more grain today.

There's a spring about a mile from here on 201, Varnell Ga, has some good water for brewing. Tap water locally comes out cloudy. Water quality is another whole art.

Latest posts

Back