Nimbus Old Monkey Shine Clone??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kahler

Reaction score
Good evening all

Wondering if anyone out there has an Old Monkey Shine Clone recipe. I drank A LOT of this when I lived out west and would like to brew something as close as possible to the original.

Thanks

Hey, I realize this is an old post, but I hope I can help!

I just cracked open the first bottle of a recipe that a friend and I put together that comes pretty close.

Fermentables:
6.6 Lb LME
3.5 Lb DME
9 Oz LME
10 Oz Brown Sugar (added 15 min before end of boil)

Steeping Grains (At 155-160 F for 30 Min)
24 Oz Maris Otter Pale
10 Oz Special B
8 Oz Crystal 60L
6 Oz Crystal 80 L
6 Oz Chocolate

Hops:
3 Oz Sterling at 75 min
2 Oz Kent Goldings at 45 min
1 Oz Kent goldings at 5 min

Safale 04 yeast at ~65-70 F for 3.5 weeks, then bottled.

1.093 OG, 1.026 FG. ABV 8.8%, IBU 60.
Note: this is stronger and hoppier than the original monkey, but turned out great!
A little on the "smokey" side, so I would reduce the Special B to ~5 oz next time.

Best of luck!

Hey, no problem.
We started with this, which is the only other recipe I could find on the internet: http://hopville.com/recipe/262683

Used similar amounts/proportions of grains, but re-worked it for extract (the semi-odd amounts of LME and DME were constructed around what was available at the brew store at the time)...

Nimbus lists the Monkey at 8.2 ABV, 35 IBU, and 20 SRM (http://nimbusbeer.com/old monkey shine.htm), so this is a little stronger and darker, hence the extra hops to balance out the similar hop/malt ratio.

Hey, no problem.
We started with this, which is the only other recipe I could find on the internet: http://hopville.com/recipe/262683

Used similar amounts/proportions of grains, but re-worked it for extract (the semi-odd amounts of LME and DME were constructed around what was available at the brew store at the time)...

Nimbus lists the Monkey at 8.2 ABV, 35 IBU, and 20 SRM (http://nimbusbeer.com/old monkey shine.htm), so this is a little stronger and darker, hence the extra hops to balance out the similar hop/malt ratio.

Got it. i saw that too but wasnt able to find anyone that had brewed it. now that i have, this will probably be my next brew...unless we hear back from the nimbus brewer.

that would be really cool. i spent a lot of time in their south tucson brewery over the years. cant tell you how much i miss that brew.

I sent him a message, I got to know him while he was the head brewer for a place here in Nebraska.

This is really cool to see this come to life!
I lived in Tucson for about 5 years and came to love Nimbus... I stumbled across this thread when trying to find a recipe for the monkeyshine, so it will be fun to watch where this goes.

The recipe I posted is not an exact clone, but at first tasting after just 3.5 weeks in the bottle it comes reasonably close. I'll post something again in another few weeks once it ages in the bottle a little more.

We named ours "Old Monkey Spin", "A New Spin on an Old Tucson Favorite"

I think that was for their restaurant(s). The brewery is still going, my brother was there last night.

Didnt Nimbus file for bankruptcy protection recently?

Yeah, the owner filed bankruptcy last year (apparently he's not too great at business). The restaurants were bought out and now he just has the brewery. They changed the Monkeyshine recipe over that course of time too -I don't know if it was a new brewer brought in or what, but it definitely hasn't been as good in the last year or so as it used to be.

Hey I live in Tucson and I just recently discovered monkeyshine at albertsons. What I can not believe is that its 7.49 a sixer and that's regular price, not sale price. That cant be right since the pale ale is 9.99.

LOVE this stuff.

Hey guys, my name is Ehren Schmidt, and I'm the new Head brewer at Nimbus Brewing Co. While I cannot indulge everything on the Internet about our flagship beer, I'd be more than happy to lead you in the right direction of a OMS clone. PM me for more, or stop by the brewery and ask for me. Oh, I'll be brewing OMS tomorrow all day, if you'd like to stop by for a tour and say hi.

Cheers

Ehren

Hey guys, I used to live in Tucson in the late 1990's. This beer is great and I miss it dearly. It used to be called Old Bumble then, I've been looking to clone this for several years. I got close with the recipe below, do you guys have any updates? Was anybody able to get close to a clone? I wish I could buy this beer in Virginia!

I've emailed the brewery to see if they can point me in the correct direction, but here is my closest guess on this recipe:

I'm doing 4.5 gallon batches, using a 152degrees F mash temperature.

I have 3 hop additions, all Kent golding.

Any info you can give me would be great!

Batch Size: 4.50 gal
Style: British Strong Ale (17A) Boil Size: 5.78 gal
Color: 24.2 SRM

Bitterness: 43.2 IBUs
Boil Time: 60 min Est OG: 1.080 (19.2° P)

Est FG: 1.016 SG (4.1° P)
ABV: 8.5% Taste Rating: 30.0
Mash Profile: Batch sparge medium body, 152F, 60mins Ingredients
Amount
Name
Type
#
11 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1
4.00 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 2
4.00 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 3
4.00 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4
4.00 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 5
6.00 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 6
1 lbs Brown Sugar, Light (8.0 SRM) Grain 7
1.25 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.0%] - Boil 60 min Hops 8
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.0%] - Boil 30 min Hops 9

0.75 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.0%] - Boil 10 min Hops 10
1 pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) Yeast 11

Last edited:
Hello all, I know this is a very old thread but thought I'd update Nimbus fans on the closing of the main brewery. They have closed their doors and auctioned off all the items except the tanks and some kettles. The reserve price was not reached.
Has any one come up with an all grain recipe? Was the above close? Did it turn out well?

Hello all, I know this is a very old thread but thought I'd update Nimbus fans on the closing of the main brewery. They have closed their doors and auctioned off all the items except the tanks and some kettles. The reserve price was not reached.
Has any one come up with an all grain recipe? Was the above close? Did it turn out well?

Sorry, I haven’t been on here on here in a while. Yes, I did brew the recipe above and it seemed like a very good clone to me. I enjoyed it VERY much. Enjoy!

Latest posts

Back