Grandma's liquid apple pie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willie3

Reaction score
5 Gallons Apple Cider
5# Clover Honey
1# Brown Sugar
1# Corn Sugar
1oz Nutmeg

Mix Honey with 4.5 Gallons Apple Cider. Heat .5 gallon of cider on stove and mix corn and brown sugar with Nutmeg until blended. Put all mixtures into fermenter, shake well add cinnamon sticks and yeast.

The longer it sits the better it gets!!!

We did 6 but its to your liking on this. If you lile hot go more if not go less six seemed to be right on for us.

Mine is sitting in my closet right now. Ambient air is about 65F, so fermentation is probably hovering around 70F. My whole closet smells awesome!

What yeast do you usually use for this? I have 5lbs of honey left over from my last batch of mead and 5 gallons of apple juice. Can I sun apple cider for apple juice?

5 Gallons Apple Cider
5# Clover Honey
1# Brown Sugar
1# Corn Sugar
1oz Nutmeg

Mix Honey with 4.5 Gallons Apple Cider. Heat .5 gallon of cider on stove and mix corn and brown sugar with Nutmeg until blended. Put all mixtures into fermenter, shake well add cinnamon sticks and yeast.

This sounds really good to me. Think i will try it soon.

What yeast do you usually use for this? I have 5lbs of honey left over from my last batch of mead and 5 gallons of apple juice. Can I sun apple cider for apple juice?

I use Champagne Yeast but I am sure that you can use whatever you fancy as long as it can attenuate well.

You can use Apple Cider or Apple Juice. Difference between the two is that one is filtered and the other isn't. Again to each their own. What makes it in my opinion is the spicing. I am sure that different honey can also be used, which would make for interesting research. Orange Blossum, Starflower, Clover etc...

WW

I used Lalvin D47 yeast and left this in primary for about 21 days. It fermented all the way down to 0.996 and gave me a whopping abv of 14.5%. The flavor was good but I decided to put in secondary for another 2 to 3 weeks before bottling so some of the alcohols can mellow out.

Set mine up tonight.

IMG_20130329_202428_127.jpg

IMG_20130329_203519_960-1.jpg

I didn't write it down for some reason. I think it was 1.064 with just the juice and sugar, plus the 5# of honey.

1.064 was what I got on my Ed Worts Apfelwein which has the same sugar additions.

Willie3 said:
5 Gallons Apple Cider
5# Clover Honey
1# Brown Sugar
1# Corn Sugar
1oz Nutmeg

Do you leave this as still cider after bottling or do you add sugar to make it sparkling?

Willie3 said:
5 Gallons Apple Cider
5# Clover Honey
1# Brown Sugar
1# Corn Sugar
1oz Nutmeg

Do you leave this as still cider after bottling or do you add sugar to make it sparkling?

This sounds Awesome, i have a 1Gal jug empty and mite just do this this wkend..
It'll be my first mead. So I am excited!
Is there anything I should be watchful of?(over flow?) made a Barley Wine on Sunday and now need to add a blow off tube!
Its not my 1st homebrew, but have wanted to do Mead for a while.

After one month it's still a bright cloudy orange color. I'm assuming it will eventually after racking and letting it rest a while. Is this correct? Did anyone add potasium sorbate?

5 Gallons Apple Cider
5# Clover Honey
1# Brown Sugar
1# Corn Sugar
1oz Nutmeg

I have no choice! I must make this! It will be perfect for the fall and winter.

mpride1911 said:
After one month it's still a bright cloudy orange color. I'm assuming it will eventually after racking and letting it rest a while. Is this correct? Did anyone add potasium sorbate?

I used pectin enzyme during fermentation and got a really clear, clean cider. Then I used potassium sorbate a day before bottling to keep everything still.

Just put on 5L now with some fresh pressed cider. Ill probably regret putting on so little.

Just put mine together.
1 gal unfiltered apple juice
1 pound honey
3 oz dark brown sugar
3 oz corn sugar
0.2 oz nutmeg
2 cinnamon sticks

Lalvin 1116 yeast
Yeast nutrient
Pectic enzyme

OG 1.092

Smells great, I can't wait for this one!

For those who have made this what is the time frame for it to get good?

And did you backsweeten?

Started my 1Gallon batch today

1Gallon Motets apple juice
1lb. White clover honey
3.5 oz brown sugar
3oz.corn sugar
2Tsp.ground Nutmeg
1Cinnamon stick

Lalvin 71B-1122 yeast rehydrated
Day 2 Will add yeast nutrient

OG 1.094

1/2 hour after yeast added fermentation started .

ForumRunner_20130428_194446.jpg

ForumRunner_20130428_194501.jpg

ForumRunner_20130428_194517.jpg

Tasted like apple pie when I sampled it can't wait for this one.

PackerfaninSanDiego said:
mine has been in primary since March 10th,,,,,,should I transfer into secondary or just bottle it?......It's still a tad cloudy

I left mine in primary for three weeks, then secondary for another three weeks before bottling. If you didn't add any pectin enzyme at the beginning of primary, it will probably stay a little cloudy.

For those who have made this what is the time frame for it to get good?

And did you backsweeten?

I had mine in primary for three weeks, secondary for three weeks. Then I added potassium sorbate, let it sit for 36 hours. After that I racked into a bottling bucket with 1 can apple juice concentrate per gallon of cider. I had a little left over after bottling, and it tasted amazing! Then after letting it sit three weeks, it tastes even better. So, I would say it tastes great in six weeks from pitching the yeast.

Racked to secondary after about 2 and a half weeks.

Gravity 1.001

Taste: decent at best, but tasted like it has great potential after aging and backsweetening.

Well this was a "It's saturday and I'm bored, lets see what HBT recipes I can find for the fermantables that I have" cupboard search. Lo and behold, I had what was needed for a 2gal batch of this. After the wife checked my math and gave the "its 10pm and you wanna brew?" talk, I was off. Heres what I got.

Grandma's Apple Pie Mead, 2gal
1gal apple joice (motts)
1gal apple cider
2 or so pounds wildflower honey
6.4oz brown sugar
6.4oz corn sugar
11.2grams nutmeg
2 sticks, cinnamon

OG 1.093 (6APR)
SG 1.020 (14APR)
I'll be taking FG when I get home

flavors are still quite hot, but its very tastey!

Went to Fairway Market to buy a gallon of organic cider (sold in a glass carboy) for $9. I've got everything except for the corn sugar. I wonder if regular white sugar will be OK? Guess I'll find out.

I do believe I'll be making this. Although the technical term for this (absolutely tastey) beverage would be a cyser, not a mead. Either way, this will be bubbling away in my primary by sunday. Cheers!

I just started this recipe and wow it makes my basement smell extremely good. I was ready to take a sip of it thats how good it is. Its been about one week. Once im able to post photos from my phone Ill post the finished product.

It was'nt aggressive at all basically the same as any other mead I would stay the same as the recipe calls for on the spices

Since I had all the ingredients on hand, except the yeast which I had to pick up, I decided to give this a go, sounds tasty. I did a 1 gallon batch. I'm going to have to see how the fermentation goes though. I'm not real sure of the yeast (Lalvin EC 1118) that I got from my local shop (mediocre place at best), I'll have to keep an eye on it the next few days. The LBS doesn't store their yeast in a climate controlled environment, just in a cardboard box on the counter which is why I made that statement.

Also, how much yeast nutrient and pectin are folks adding to this? I haven't added either yet. I have the nutrient but will have to pick up some pectic enzyme.

Back