Sanitizer in beer!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

run4thebrew

Reaction score
We are big idiots!! Left a gallon of sanitizer in the barrel and then racked beer on top of it. Now we have sanitizer-beer mix. Is it still safe to drink?? Tasted it and it is thin and watery, but not the end of the world. Ideas??

You just have watered down beer. If you used food grade sanitizer(iodophor/star-san) it is 100% safe to drink. If you sanitized with bleach...i wouldn't drink it. RDWHAHB, I'd suggest one other than that though ;)

Do you think that I could "dry hop" the beer by throwing some hops in the keg? Would that stuff just go to the bottom and clog up the dip tube?

run4thebrew said:
Do you think that I could "dry hop" the beer by throwing some hops in the keg? Would that stuff just go to the bottom and clog up the dip tube?

If you're going to dry hop in a keg, I'd strongly recommend using a mesh bag to hold them. Otherwise, yes, it'll clog your tube.

I guarantee that if you just throw hops in the keg, they will clog the output tube for every ounce of beer that comes out.

Back