Apricot lambic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themcnabs

Reaction score
I have two trees loaded with apricots, this gave me the idea. Here is my plan. I would appreciate any comments or suggestions.

5 gallons
70% pilsner
30% wheat
Mash 150
OG approx. 1.050
Willamette hops approx. 15 IBUs

Ferment with Wyeast Roeselare at 65 degrees for approx. 2 weeks.
rack onto 10 Lbs. fresh apricots (frozen then thawed). Let sit for 6 or more months in un-temp controlled closet, winter as low as 60 degrees summer up to 85 degrees.

Filter and bottle then cold age.

I like it, but you're going to want to probably ferment with a clean ale yeast, then rack onto the fruit and add the Roeselare at that time. The reason I say this is two fold - but both have to do with sourness. You don't want to give the Roeselare that much fermenting work to do. And, you don't want to rack the Roeselare and then age it again, it will get sour as hell if it gets that kind of oxygen exposure. If you like tooth enamel etching sourness then do what you said, but apricots are quite tart as is. I recommend not adding the sour blend till after the beer has gone on the fruit. Please keep us updated, I'd like to see how is turns out whatever you end up doing.

How about I ferment the beer with US05 first, rack on to the apricots then add the Roeselare? Then let it sit for many months in the closet.

Should I treat the apricots with campden tabs first?

themcnabs said:
How about I ferment the beer with US05 first, rack on to the apricots then add the Roeselare? Then let it sit for many months in the closet.

Should I treat the apricots with campden tabs first?

Yes, that all sounds perfect.

Back