Simple "analog" e-brewing questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thelawlost

Reaction score
Hey all,

At the outset, I'll just be up front and say that I know there are tons of threads are out there on the subject, but my head is spinning from trying to find the "right" answer. I moved a few months ago to a new house and want to switch to e-brewing in the basement - I live in MN and would like to brew indoors, oh, a couple months of the year :) I've been reading up on e-brewing essentially since the move, but every time I think I hone in on my approach, I read another thread that makes me second guess it. There just seem to be a lot of unique variables everyone has to deal with, not to mention innumerable and increasingly complex options available when e-brewing, so I'd love to tap into the collective knowledge for suggestions on what will work best for me.

First, what I want: Simplicity. An "analog" electric brewery. I intend to use a basic 3-tier, gravity-fed brew structure. No pumps needed on this build. HLT on top, my tried and true rectangular mash tun cooler on the middle level, and the brew kettle on the bottom. I was thinking of installing a 110V element into the HLT because I already have a 110V/15A GFCI very close to that end of the brew structure, and because I do only 5 gallon batches, it should be sufficient time-wise to heat the mash\sparge water. But given the following information, I could be talked into upgrading this power source if it works out best that way.

Second, the electrical sources I have available: There is the afore-mentioned 110V GFCI outlet that I intend to use for the HLT. I have a 50A dryer plug (unused, as I am now using gas for the dryer) about 20 feet away from the brew structure. This outlet has 3 plugs (NEMA 10-50), and I've looked inside, and there is no fourth wire. Finally, the circuit breaker box is accessible and nearby, and has 11 open slots, so there is definitely room to add a brand new line if that works best for the system what I want.

Third, and I imagine it goes without saying, I want GFI protection.

Fourth, I'm a DIY-er, but I'm not an electrician. While I probably could build my own control box with the guidance of others I've seen on this website, I don't NEED too. I was thinking of, for example, the High Gravity Brew EBCII to use to control the brew kettle power level. I know one can build a controller cheaper themselves, but I'll be frank, unless we're talking more than 50% savings (or if the unit has safety concerns - for example, I ran across this earlier) I'm fine with paying someone a little extra to put it together for me. I'm willing grease the wheels of the homebrew economy a bit.

So with this in mind, any thoughts on the best means to achieve a simple, safe e-brewery? All input is appreciated!

What batch sizes do you anticipate brewing? I started my system design by working backwards from the biggest beer that I could imagine reasonably making (for me, that's a belgian strong ale/barleywine which I brew once a year in September, for Christmas).

A three wire dryer plug is going to give you 30A, btw. Range plugs are 50A. Yes, you have to have GFCI.

Depending on your batch size, 110V may work for you, but I would plug my numbers into an online calculator to see the temperature ramp time at whatever volume of water you're going to be heating in your HLT at the start of your brewday, and make sure I was OK with the amount of time that was going to add to my process.

Congrats on taking the plunge... you'll learn a ton building this yourself!

Interesting. This 50A outlet is in my basement, right across from where the dryer is now. I wonder why they would have a range setup down there? Anyway, thanks for the reference to the spreadsheet. It confirms what I have expected - even boiling only 5 gallon batches (as anticipated), it's over an hour to go from room temp to 170, and another 38 minutes to go from 155 to boil. And even once you get to a boil, will it be vigorous? I'm thinking I need to go to 220.

bump. will be moving soon and would like to start planning an e-brewery in the basement. Are fancy control panels really necessary? How can I vent the steam(no window available)?

Latest posts

Back