Keg tool

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also have use the cone to pull copper for making my own solder joints.

Have you tried TIG'ing those joins? We have a welded copper setup for our counterflow chiller, and you could get good fusion on where you're pulling through. I didn't weld it, one of the others in the club did, just to see if it would work really.

As usual beautiful work.

Thank you.:mug:

Have you tried TIG'ing those joins? We have a welded copper setup for our counterflow chiller, and you could get good fusion on where you're pulling through. I didn't weld it, one of the others in the club did, just to see if it would work really.

I have thought about TIG welding it. I welded my copper pipe gas manifold for my propane. I welded my flash boiler too. I was in too much of a hurry on my boiler job. It looks like a$$, but functional. I didn't want to bother with the worry of a purge on this one. It was put together for a test and if I didn't keep it clean and the scale got in my weld, I could have a problem since I am running steam through it.

I also wanted to build it in a way that others could duplicate if they so desired. This way I would have knowledge about how durable or how difficult it would be. That piece is part of my new system that should begin soon. I hope someone will build a version of my new rig after I get mine done and running.

anyone though of using a 1" pvc sch80 coupling to save some coin on that 1" ss cplg?

-=Jason=-

EDIT: @ GreenMonti, have you removed your photos from photobucket? I'd love to take a look at your keg tool

anyone though of using a 1" pvc sch80 coupling to save some coin on that 1" ss cplg?

-=Jason=-

EDIT: @ GreenMonti, have you removed your photos from photobucket? I'd love to take a look at your keg tool

Jason, IMHO, no way would that take the forces.
I've done a couple of these now.

Just thought I would share this. I have used my tool to do 1/4" coupling all the way up to the 1/2" is was made to do. Just drill a smaller hole and pull it a little at a time until you get a snug fit. I pull the tool through till I have to hit the smaller coupling with a rubber mallet to get it in the hole. If the cone is made right you can use it to pull all those fittings. I used a 1/2" coupling as a dummy to make sure it all went through correctly. (So the tool would still assemble right)

I also have use the cone to pull copper for making my own solder joints. This is my last condenser I made for my kettle. I soldered the joints from the inside so it would be full in the depression side and wick its own way through the joint. Enjoy.:mug:

P1010138-3.jpg

P1010139-3.jpg

P1010140-2.jpg

Nice, thread. I've learned a lot. One question, none of your photos are visible anymore. It says your photos have been deleted or moved. Do you have a new link to all your photos. Thanks. :mug:

How did you make the smaller piece on the left. The cone shaped piece.

With a lathe. It is the Ampco #20 (IIRC) bronze. I changed GM's design ever so slightly to include a shoulder on the back for the coupler to ride on.

Other than that, it has worked great. One guy had some problems, but that was with the threaded rod, not the cone. I've pulled about 10 couplers so far.

do you offer these tools to the hombretalk community? Unfortunatley I do not own a lathe nor would I know what to do with it IF I had one :)

amazing looks to dimple the hole and pull the coupling all in one process ?

now only if I had a lathe ;(

-=Jason=-

quoted from the aluminum bk thread, but note the price I get on the keg tool parts..
-=Jason=-
So im about to buy some parts for my 15 gal pot

I found a vendor I can buy from at work that isn't going to bend me over on the price.

my plan add 2 1/2 couplings one for the ball valve and the other for the Tee for thermostat and site glass.

the hex nipple because I hate using close nipples and this is easy to tighten.
the barb fitting to go in my ball valve so I can hook up to my counterflow chiller.

site glass to be purchased from BobbyM at Brewhardware.com

any suggestions before I pull the trigger on parts.

the savings on the keg tools offsets the higher cost of the ball valve plus shipping from one location saves on shipping as well.

anyone else need anything send me a PM.

-=Jason=-

Probably worth it, but for those who can't afford stainless, brass is still a good choice. I you HAVE to use galvanized (like for pulling huge 1" fittings) it'll be okay, just sand well and clean with BKF.

Probably worth it, but for those who can't afford stainless, brass is still a good choice. I you HAVE to use galvanized (like for pulling huge 1" fittings) it'll be okay, just sand well and clean with BKF.

I can buy those SS butt weld reduces from 3/4x 1/2 up to 12" x 10"

just sayin'

so going to a 3/4 or 1 coupling is no problem using SS

-=Jason=-

6C9ex.jpg

OK I am NOT reading 14 pages so WHAT does this do? Tool for what?

for those who can't afford to have their kegs welded and would like to solder their fittings you use the kegtool to get the tightest possible fit.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/soldering-stainless-steel-155782/index6.html#post2448358

drilling a hole smaller than your fitting and pulling the tappered fitting through will create a "dimpled" so to speak area to pull the fitting through. you get more surface area then if you just drilled and hole and tried to solder your fitting in it.

-= Jason =-

OK I am NOT reading 14 pages so WHAT does this do? Tool for what?

It's a fantastic devise that drains your kegs so you don't have to drink the beer!!!

There, now aren't you glad you didn't bother reading anything but the title.

I read the 14 pages and have an idea but none of GreenMonti's pictures are showing up so it's a little difficult to see what he was talking about. I kind of have an idea based on what others said but it would be really cool to see this tool in action.

I looked at the first couple, no pictures and vague references to a "tool" WTF? Look at them yourself and tell me if you didn't know you could figure it out. Christ I can't even tell WHAT kind of keg, corny? Sankey?

Especially since wtf kind of tool do you need besides wrenches or f@ckin sockets?????

Then I looked at the last couple and I see pics but they make no sense??????

Now I find out it's a tool to install no weld fittings tightly and again I have to ask WHY??? Isn't that what NORMAL tools are for? Wrenches? Sockets?

Seems like someone creating a solution to a problem THAT DOESN'T EXIST ;)

Bobby-M these forums may perhaps have the worst serch features I have ever seen in a forum and I am a member at many, audio, video, cars, guns, PC's, gaming ect. So the search is not an end all be all for here like it can be in other forums where you can narrow your search down to specific threads and authors. Plus things like doing a search for Apfelwein for example hundreds of pages. Sometimes there are just too many posts to shift thru to find what you need in any reasonable amount of time.

I browse the site by looking at new replies, someone else dug this old tools thread up and posted about it which is why I looked at it. I apologize for interferring with your busy day by trying to understand what it was about without spending MY whole day reading every post in it ;)

I used to think people were lazy for not doing a quick search for topics but really? You want someone to summarize the thread before you deem it worthy enough to read?

I looked at the first couple, no pictures and vague references to a "tool" WTF? Look at them yourself and tell me if you didn't know you could figure it out. Christ I can't even tell WHAT kind of keg, corny? Sankey?

Especially since wtf kind of tool do you need besides wrenches or f@ckin sockets?????

Then I looked at the last couple and I see pics but they make no sense??????

Now I find out it's a tool to install no weld fittings tightly and again I have to ask WHY??? Isn't that what NORMAL tools are for? Wrenches? Sockets?

Seems like someone creating a solution to a problem THAT DOESN'T EXIST ;)

easy there big fella. Yes it is a tool to create a tight fit for the coupling to make it fit in the keg wall tightly. This acomplishes two things:

1. it holds the coupler nice and striaght and centered so you don't have to try and hold it level while you are trying to weld it and makes it easier to lay down a nice bead and get a good finished product.
or
2. it makes a much better seal if you don't have the equipment to weld and are Soldering it to your kegs. much less chance of it leaking after the soldering.

so yes while you CAN create a keggle without the use of this tool, You could also rebuild a 350 small block with a screwdriver and socket set, but if you have a few specalized tools and a aircompressor it makes the motor rebuild much more enjoyable. YMMV, to each his own -just remember there are many different ways to get to the same destination.

see here for pics https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/soldering-stainless-steel-155782/index8.html
and https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/soldering-stainless-steel-155782/index26.html
and https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/soldering-stainless-steel-155782/index30.html

Oh I am sorry see even if I read I misread by weldless I thought the screw in type. Makes sense then if it is like a jig to hold it for welding or soldering. Actuallly I wasn't aware you could solder those connections??? I know you can for copper stuff but that works for SS???? Is it strong?

alot of members have had good luck with Soldering SS check out the links in my last post above, there is a stickey with like 40 sumthin pages with a how to and people that are successfully soldering SS and what they learn along the way to make it easier for others that go down the same road. It also shows the tool in action really good so you get an idea of what it's used for.

Oh I am sorry see even if I read I misread by weldless I thought the screw in type. Makes sense then if it is like a jig to hold it for welding or soldering. Actuallly I wasn't aware you could solder those connections??? I know you can for copper stuff but that works for SS???? Is it strong?

it can be soldered, just don't dry fire your keggle and you will be fine, the liquid doesn't come close to the 410 degree it takes to melt the solder.

I just did one of my two kegs last night and it was a breeze as long as you have the correct flux. look at the last few pages of the soldering thread for my posts.

-=Jason=-

LOL I knew there'd be a catch with my luck I would do just that and melt everything lol.

it can be soldered, just don't dry fire your keggle and you will be fine, the liquid doesn't come close to the 410 degree it takes to melt the solder.

I just did one of my two kegs last night and it was a breeze as long as you have the correct flux. look at the last few pages of the soldering thread for my posts.

-=Jason=-

LOL I knew there'd be a catch with my luck I would do just that and melt everything lol.

worst that happens is your dry fire and have to buy a new ball valve, and re solder your coupling...

just DON'T fire it up with out liquid in it and your fine ;)

-=Jason=-

I'm dragging out the old thread due to many asking me for pics of my build. Sorry its taken me so long to get theses re-posted. Any Q's just ask. I'll try to answer them.

Again, the gold colored material is Ampco 20.
P1010181.jpg

P1010183.jpg

P1010182.jpg

P1010184.jpg

P1010186.jpg

P1010185.jpg

GM,

In the last pic, is the piece on the left a cup that bottoms out on the inside of the keg when the coupling is pulled through?

Ed

GM,

In the last pic, is the piece on the left a cup that bottoms out on the inside of the keg when the coupling is pulled through?

Ed

Ya know, it was never intended that way when I built it. However, yes it will work that way as I have run it to that point in the past. Now I just get it going through the material and then set the coupling in its final place with a rubber mallet. Wear your hearing protection.:D

Found a great YouTube video that walks you through this whole process, really cleared things up for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've read all 14 pages, so maybe I've missed it. Has anyone figured out the parts need to make a keg tool to install 1" couplings?

*EDIT*

I think I found what I was looking for here.

Back