K-Meta for bottle conditioned beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver_Is_Money

Larry Sayre, Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
Reaction score
Can K-Meta be added to the bottling bucket in order to prevent oxidation of bottled beer? My last IPA effort was strongly impacted by oxidation, and the bottled beer noticeably browned. I make batches that yield right around 6.5 gallons overall in the bottles, and I was thinking along the lines of adding 0.45 grams of potassium metabisulfite powder to the bottling vessel. Are there any potential downsides to trying this, such as safety/health concerns, or killing off the yeast before they condition the beer?

Given my primitive brewing equipment, nothing.
You don't need high-end equipment or to go full-on LODO to take some basic O2-preventative measures.
Closed transfers (if your equipment allows)
Purged, or at least oxygen-deficient containers (pump CO2 in).
Heck , back when I used a racking cane, I would push CO2 through it before racking to help minimize oxygen exposure.

IPA, especially NEIPAs, are the hardest to prevent oxidation due to dry hopping.
But every little thing you can find to do to limit oxygen exposure will help delay the onset of oxidation. However, if you need a band-aid for that sucking oxygen chest wound, sulfites could help.
The biggest risk is stressing the yeast you are relying on for bottle conditioning and either slowing carbonation, or making them create sulfides or other undesirable aromatic/flavor components due to being stressed.

But give it a go and see if it works for you.

You don't need high-end equipment or to go full-on LODO to take some basic O2-preventative measures.
Closed transfers (if your equipment allows)
Purged, or at least oxygen-deficient containers (pump CO2 in).
Heck , back when I used a racking cane, I would push CO2 through it before racking to help minimize oxygen exposure.

IPA, especially NEIPAs, are the hardest to prevent oxidation due to dry hopping.
But every little thing you can find to do to limit oxygen exposure will help delay the onset of oxidation. However, if you need a band-aid for that sucking oxygen chest wound, sulfites could help.

Thanks! Am I about on track with my 0.45 gram estimate?

I'm not sure, but they used 0.3 mg in the Brulosophy experiment, IIRC.

They used sodium metabisulfite. And they added it to a 5 gallon keg. I looked it up and the molecular weight of the sodium version is 190 whereas the molecular weight of the potassium version is 222. I extended it as follows for 6.5 gallons:

0.3 x 222/190 x 6.5/5 = 0.456 grams of K-Meta

They used sodium metabisulfite. And they added it to a 5 gallon keg. I looked it up and the molecular weight of the sodium version is 190 whereas the molecular weight of the potassium version is 222. I extended it as follows for 6.5 gallons:

0.3 x 222/190 x 6.5/5 = 0.456 grams of K-Meta
Sounds like you have a plan then.
I generally use NaMeta and KMeta interchangeably despite there being a small difference.
That said, I have only once ever added post-fermentation. I generally use them in the mash.

Sounds like you have a plan then.
I generally use NaMeta and KMeta interchangeably despite there being a small difference.
That said, I have only once ever added post-fermentation. I generally use them in the mash.

I wonder if they can be added in both places? Or would that lead to overkill?

The sulfites, doing their job, will consume oxygen and be converted to sulfate. So if you will add a significant amount at any stage or stages, you just might want to take that into account and reduce or eliminate any gypsum or Epsom you might have added in your water profile, and just use chloride to get your calcium.

The sulfites, doing their job, will consume oxygen and be converted to sulfate. So if you will add a significant amount at any stage or stages, you just might want to take that into account and reduce or eliminate any gypsum or Epsom you might have added in your water profile, and just use chloride to get your calcium.

Excellent advice! Any advice as to how much I should be adding to the mash tun (which for me is a cooler conversion)?

LoDO brewers use sulfite in the mash to help prevent oxidation on the hot side. It's a whole process geared toward preserving fresh grain flavors that are otherwise lost (with a "normal" brewing process).

We de-oxygenate our strike water, mill right before dough-in, use active oxygen scavengers during the mash (usually), use a physical barrier to prevent oxygen diffusion into the mash, etc. Overkill is what we do :) and it's totally worth it for the flavors it preserves!

You can read the sticky in this subforum or check out ******************** if you want to learn more.

People have used low rates like you mention for bottle conditioned beers with success, so it's fine if you want to try it. I haven't personally used it.
0.45g K-meta in 6.5 gal only provides about 10ppm sulfite, which is low enough that a commercial brewery wouldn't even need to declare it on labeling.

Cheers

The brulosophy experiment used .3 grams. I did this on my Marzen and suspect my gram scale is not accurate enough to that level, as after a couple months the beer is just now good to drink (and doesn't taste oxidized). I think I will look into using considerably less than that experiment for bottle conditioning, because I am looking to limit the impact of oxygen before the yeast has the chance to act and scavenge oxygen, so it stands to reason that less is required.

Back