Just to be clear...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

telebrewer

Reaction score
Is it brown rice extract or brown rice syrup? I getting ready to brew a GF beer for my wife and want to knock down the sorghum taste.

Also want to hop it up a bit. IPA'ish. Anyone have a recipe for that?

Thanks.

I have a recipe for a double IPA that has a review...and I think there is a recipe for a Pale Ale in the forum some where too.

I believe you are looking for brown rice syrup but it might also be called brown rice extract, too. I've used rice syrup solids in the past but I like the syrup better. You can find it at health food shops if you're in a bind and it will say "gluten-free" right on the label.

I would say it is more common to call it Brown Rice Syrup, although I think Briess has some stuff called Extract.

Anyway, for your recipe I would go with something like this, I can be more specific if you like.

7lbs of Extract (Make as much of this Brown Rice Syrup as you can afford and use Sorghum for the rest, if greater than 50% Brown Rice Syrup, ask us for help)

.75oz High AA American Hop - 60min
1oz Citrusy Hop - 30min
1oz Different Citrusy Hop - 15min
1oz of Citrus A - 10min
1oz Each of Citrus A and B - 0min

Safale S-05

Should be around 5.5% ABV and Around 40-50 IBU.

Casanova's would also be good if you wanted a big fat IPA. :D

Back