Juniper Branches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedIvan16

Reaction score
I'm trying to brew a Norwegian farmhouse ale with kveik yeast at the end of January, and apparently one of the key ingredients is juniper infused water. It's also apparently important you use the juniper that is native to Norway - juniperus communis - and the flavor needs to come from the branches not the berries. I'm having a little trouble tracking down juniper branches for this, does anyone have any recommendations for good websites to procure them?

I think you may have a tough time trying to get branches, at least green branches, unless some you has one growing near you. You might check with a local arboretum or master garden office to see if there are any close by you can get branches from.

I plan to do one myself when my yeast from white labs get here. But I plan to use Eastern Red Cedar (Juniperus virginiana). It grows here on my land and will make it a true, for me, farmhouse ale.

I think you may have a tough time trying to get branches, at least green branches, unless some you has one growing near you. You might check with a local arboretum or master garden office to see if there are any close by you can get branches from.

I plan to do one myself when my yeast from white labs get here. But I plan to use Eastern Red Cedar (Juniperus virginiana). It grows here on my land and will make it a true, for me, farmhouse ale.

Old thread searching for 4 hours;

I'm actually looking onto using some Eastern Red Cedar tips in a gruit I'm putting together. My neighbor has one that's easily 100 foot tall and another 3 foot tall tree starting out in the ditch between our houses.
Doing some research (Firstly to confirm it's identity) to make sure it wasn't toxic, I was happy to find its considered non-toxic, in reasonable amounts. Before confirming what it was I crushed the stem and smelled it. Has some strong citronella-like smell.
Just wanted to see if you ever got around to making a batch of ale with some? TIA

Latest posts

Back