Dispensing for the wedding

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonz78

Reaction score
So we're getting married in September and while my fiance is fiddling with the minor details like invitations, rentals, and guest list, I'm in charge of the most important element - the beer!

I've built a 6' bar and I wanted to mount a two tap tower to the top to dispense the beer which will be one local microbrew and probably sierra nevada pa. The kegs will be stored below and behind the bar on ice, both in a large garbage bin. I'm trying to research the type of connections that I'll need. Will the local microbrew use standard keg connections? What are the standard keg connections for the smaller 5gal kegs (or are they 1/6 kegs)?

I want to set it up so I can use it for the wedding and then use the same equipment for a kegerator or maybe keezer down the line.

Can someone double check this equipment list:
Co2 tank (5lb or 10lb?)
regulator (dual?)
2 gas lines
2 liquid lines
keg couplers
distribution - tap tower for 2 taps
2 taps

Am I missing anything equipment or logistic - wise?

Most places will use Sanke connections. Even the 1/6 barrels come with Sanke connections. It is the universal connection for bars. Ball and Pin locks are largely a homebrew connection. Either way I'd just call the place you are going to buy from and confirm.

Congrats and Cheers!:mug:

Get a 10lb, almost the same price to fill it as the 5lb. You only need a dual body regulator if you plan to serve at different pressures. E.g a Belgian and a stout. But with pale ales or most beers you will be fine splitting the line with a manifold (so add a 2 way manifold to your list). If you plan to have this for home brewing then dual body is nice because you can carb a beer at 20PSI and still serve one at 10-12psi.

Add hose clamps.

And be sure your liquid line is 3/16" and get about 8 feet for each line. Balancing the system is a large topic that doesn't need to be brought up too much here, but you'll be fine with those lengths.

Be sure you have all the hex nuts and barbs you need for tubing connections.

Congrats on the wedding!

Thanks for the input. I'll definitely go with the manifold as opposed to the dual regulator. So does this checkout look good (not including the gas and liquid lines - 8' of course)?? Am I missing anything? Also, if there would be a more economical way to go about it I would LOVE to hear about it!

Thanks for the well wishes too!

kegging checkout.jpg

The length of the gas lines doesn't matter, so get whatever you need for the run from the co2 tank to the manifold and from the manifold to the kegs.

For beer serving line, I'd go with something more like 12'. Remember, you can always cut it down if it's too long (very unlikely) but you can make them longer! 10' is the bare minimum I could get by with in my kegerator, and if you have a tower (which might be warmer than the beer), foaming could be an issue. Longer lines would help prevent those type of problems.

Good catch on the tubing diameter. I am debating as to diying the tower but that is still up in the air. I've got a lot of room to save some cash since that alone is $140.

As for the foaming - so that's caused by cold beer going through warm lines? So cooling and insulating the lines would remedy that? Either way I'll be sure to get 12' per keg.

Thanks all for the help!

Good catch on the tubing diameter. I am debating as to diying the tower but that is still up in the air. I've got a lot of room to save some cash since that alone is $140.

As for the foaming - so that's caused by cold beer going through warm lines? So cooling and insulating the lines would remedy that? Either way I'll be sure to get 12' per keg.

Thanks all for the help!

Foaming has several causes, but yes cold beer hitting warm lines/faucets will foam. The tower probably won't get too warm if you're constantly pouring cold beer, but if it sits for a while the beer in the lines will be warmer than the beer coming out of the keg and it'll foam. Some people have fans in their kegerators to blow cold air up there, or insulate the tower well.

For a temp tower cooler take a piece of pvc (1 in or so) that will fit in the tower with the lines in it, cap the pvc and fill about 90% or so with salt water, cap the other end and place in a deep freezer, on serving day drop it in the tower to cool. Not a big deal if you are pouring a lot if beer though

I'm actually planning on doing the same thing! I'm still bottling, and this is kind of a convenient way to move to kegging. How many kegs are you going to use? What is the size of the wedding?

Back