Jasmine in Belgian Witbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaz

Reaction score
My wife likes Jasmine flowers, we have a cat named Jasmine. I'd like to get a hint of jasmine flavor in a Belgian Wit. What's my best chance? I don't see homebrew shops selling Jasmine as a spice or ingredient and we don't have any Jasmine growing or blooming at the moment. I'm thinking a Jasmine tea bag. Anyone ever toy with that, add during last 15 minutes of boil? Add as a dry hop? How much? I'll play around a little but thought I'd see if anyone else had given it a shot. TIA.

I've never tried this, but if I were going to I would probably avoid boiling the tea. I'd whirlpool at a lower temperature during the cooling process so as to not boil off the delicate aroma then dry hop too, for added flavour.

This website says that the best temp to brew Jasmin tea is about 80oC (176oF):
https://www.letsdrinktea.com/types-of-tea/green-tea/jasmine-tea/

This sounds like a tasty thought, keep us posted how it turns out.

I can only find Jasmine Green Tea as of now, I just tried a cup of it brewed normally and I'm not sure I'm too keen on the astringency that the green tea brings to the table. I may try a cold steeped glass just to see if that imparts any of the Jasmine flavor/aroma.

I can only find Jasmine Green Tea as of now, I just tried a cup of it brewed normally and I'm not sure I'm too keen on the astringency that the green tea brings to the table. I may try a cold steeped glass just to see if that imparts any of the Jasmine flavor/aroma.

I did a Jasmine witbeer once. I "dry tea'd" post fermentation with some Jasmine green tea a friend brought me from China.

Give cold steeping a try, but my experience was in line with your assessment that it got too astringent. I used 1oz/gallon, which I will suggest was definitively _too much_.

I didn't particularly care much for the result, but that was also partly because I used a yeast I don't like (LHBS was out of first choice and I decided to wing it). Were I to do it again, I'd go to a tea shop and buy just Jasmine flowers. There's one near me that sells them on their own for creating your own Jasmine tea blends. I'd suggest doing some research to find if you can get ahold of that.

From there, I'd probably treat them like hops, just not boiling. Add a little while chilling for flavor; add a little after primary for aroma.

Thanks, I did find a 50g bag of Jasmine flowers on Amazon. I'll give them a try, probably whirlpool 1oz adding around 170F and maybe using some to dry hop or maybe try a vodka soak to make an extract.

Picked up 100g of dried Jasmine flowers off of amazon, I went with a pretty low dosage and added about 3g in the boil at 5 minutes remaining along with orange peel and coriander. I figured if that's where most recipes added chamomile, then I'd start there. We'll see what's left after fermentation, and if needed, I can always steep some in hot water and add.

So 3g of dried Jasmine flowers gave me a nice subtle Jasmine finish on this wit, rest of recipe was pretty standard. Pils, flaked wheat, flaked oats, coriander and orange peel

Back