Water Temperature and InMalt Temperature Differs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

komomos

Reaction score
I have a coffee grinder. I use it for the grind the malt. Grinder makes my malt flour-like.

Water and malt layer-crust have different temperatures when mashing. I have a long stick thermometer. Maybe differs up to 15-20 degrees. Is it normal?

If that normal? If is that normal which one that I ground on for mashing temp.?

I just have to use this machine because there isn't any mill I have. This grinder has 12 different grinding level. I work it at latest level. Although still flour like.

Weird, ok back to your question there will be a slight temp difference between the water before you add the grain but that's normal. Example, you recipe tells to steep grain at 154F. So your strike water should be roughly 160F. When you add the water the grain should cool it just to where you need it. Just make sure you are stirring the heck out of it since yours is more of a powder.

Water and malt layer-crust have different temperatures when mashing. I have a long stick thermometer. Maybe differs up to 15-20 degrees. Is it normal?

Malt layer-crust? May be a stupid question but you are stirring the grain into the water, right? If you have hot spots keep stirring until it's uniform.

Dude, just order malt pre-crushed or have your home brew shop do it. There's a reason it's called a "crush". The grain husks need to be mostly intact for the sugars to be properly extracted. The rinsing, or sparging step will be nearly impossible with a flour like consistency and you'll have nothing but problems. ...

I never stirred. Just steep. How often I should stir?

PS:"buy mill" advices don't help me at this point pals.

komomos said:
I never stirred. Just steep. How often I should stir?

PS:"buy mill" advices don't help me at this point pals.

Anywhere you buy grain can mill it for you, many don't even charge. Have you read ANYTHING about how to brew all grain?

Anywhere you buy grain can mill it for you, many don't even charge. Have you read ANYTHING about how to brew all grain?

Did you note that the OP is in Istanbul? I'm guessing there's not a LHBS to go to. There are folks on here who from time to time post from places where they don't have access to the usual stuff. No need to be condescending.
Ok, enough rant.

OP, add the grains then stir the crap out of the mash until all the grain is saturated and you have a uniform temp, then cover it and let it sit. You don't need hulls for enzyme activity but it can be a problem with lautering (draining the wort out). You're best off using a bag with a fine crush, then lifting and squeezing. I've seen some concern about tannin extraction with a really fine crush but sounds like others feel that's only possible if the pH is off. It would be better if you could get a regular crush but sounds like you are making due with what is available.

There is an online version of How To Brew which is older but still is a good source to learn the basics of brewing.
:mug:

If your steeping grain you dont need to stir since your just trying to pull the flavors out of the grain dont worry this time. When you brew your next batch buy the grain either for a LHBS or online shop and have them mill it for you.

He didn't say steep, he said mash.
I think if you just stir really well, that will solve the thermometer question.
Like chickypad said, using a mesh bag may help keep the grains out of the wort.

chickypad said:
Did you note that the OP is in Istanbul? I'm guessing there's not a LHBS to go to. There are folks on here who from time to time post from places where they don't have access to the usual stuff. No need to be condescending.
Ok, enough rant.

OP, add the grains then stir the crap out of the mash until all the grain is saturated and you have a uniform temp, then cover it and let it sit. You don't need hulls for enzyme activity but it can be a problem with lautering (draining the wort out). You're best off using a bag with a fine crush, then lifting and squeezing. I've seen some concern about tannin extraction with a really fine crush but sounds like others feel that's only possible if the pH is off. It would be better if you could get a regular crush but sounds like you are making due with what is available.

There is an online version of How To Brew which is older but still is a good source to learn the basics of brewing.
:mug:

No I didn't see that; I do most posts from my iPhone and don't see the locations. That said, barley flour makes bad beer anywhere in the world. Rather that figure out how to work with that, figure out a way to CRUSH the grain. The idea is to split the husk breaking the inner "seed" into many pieces, NOT grind it up into a powder. If a grain mill is impossible, see if wherever you get your grain can do it for you. If they can't, try and crush it using something flat and strong and a brick. Your results pulverizing it with a coffee grinder will be disappointing at best. ...

Thank you very much chickypad and acidrain. I went it with an open bag and stirred. I got very high attenuation.

I didn't say it is flour. Next time I will upload its photo here. I even didn't know what LHBS is :D What a shame.
I hear LHBS, malt grinders, brewing kits, malt extracts, tablet hops ... :)
Mates, I own barley from horse and bird feeds bazaar and I must malting my own barley. I grown my own hops. I can't find it from grocery store here.

Ebay just helps me to find yeasts.

Back