Lactation Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Otterella

Reaction score
Yes the old wives tales are true. Beer does increase milk supply. Specifically, the barley and the hops. The B vitamins in the yeast are also good for making milk more nutritious. Oatmeal and fenugreek are also known galactagogues. So I wanted to make a beer specifically geared for boosting milk supply. How does a Fenugreek Oatmeal Nut Brown sound?

6 lb LME (not set up to do AG quite yet)
1/2 lb roasted barley
1/2 lb flaked barley
1/2 lb flaked oats
1/4 lb black malt

2 oz Norther Brewer
1/2 oz Willamette

I'll probably put some fenugreek seed in the boil and more in the secondary. I like the maple flavor of it, so I'm not worried about it being too strong. Thoughts?

Sounds like a plan to me, but fenugreek...eugh. To me it smells more musky--which is to say footy and armpitty--than maple-y. Might work out anyway, though. Have you considered adding some rye? Seems like they'd work well together.

Lactating moms need extra calories too. Consider adding lactose, and not just for the pun.

Back