Issue with automated gas valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eryk4381

Reaction score
Honeywell VR8200 gas valve:
I have my setup ready for testing and I and using and Inbird to control these gas valves. I finally got the pilot placed in the right spot and when I first activate the PID and gas valve and turn the gas valve on the PID works and turn the gas on to get the higher Temp I set. After it reaches that the gas valve shuts off and then nothing ever again when I readjust the PID. It never seem to send the "turn on" signal back to the gas valve. I looked into the PID inkbird settings for some sort of wait time before reactivating but I don't really see one. Has anyone had this issue?

check for delay... maybe you have a compressor delay setting that's keeping it from "short cycling" back to 'on' too fast. Since you got it to initially fire you're wiring is probably good. You can also dbl check that the PID is actually sending a fire signal when it hits the temp setting the 2nd time (to confirm it's a PID setting not a wiring issue). I used honeywell valves and had no issues with them firing on and off repeatedly.

Only other thing I can think of is mine have a "sensor" wire that detects the heat... once the pilot is lit if either the pilot or the burner stop being "lit" the gas is shut off due to safety concerns (if the flame blew out but gas stayed on).

"Flame sensor". Most if not all Honeywell furnace valves have one, and they can be tricky to set up. They essentially provide a loop that includes the plasma from the flame to complete and have to be properly grounded to function correctly...

Cheers!

Back