What are the style characteristics of 'draught' or 'draft' beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShootsNRoots

Reaction score
I know that 'draught' (or 'draft') beer refers to beer served from a keg rather than a bottle.

However, sometimes the terms are used in labeling a style of beer, for example, Coopers Draught, Coopers Traditional Draught or Sierra Nevada Draught Style Pale Ale.

There is no BJCP category for 'draught' (or 'draft') "style", so that begs the question what are the characteristics of a 'draught' (or 'draft') beer that it can be labeled as such?

There is a real ale / cask ale movement from the UK, which involved higher temps and lower carbing. Firking beer in the US is similar, but typically is a mainline beer infused with something different than the mainline- extra hops, fruit, peppers, etc.

I am guessing that draught beer in a bottle is primarily a marketing ploy, but maybe it could be lower carbed?

Well,draught is just an old word for draft. But Ithink it's just a marketing thing as far as canned or bottle beer is concerned. I've used the THomas Cooper's selection heritage lager to make my dark hybrid lager. I use the draught can in some of my AE recipes. Draft beer isn't always lower carbed ales,as that's more of a cask carbing deal thy're bringing back in England.

Apart from getting into details about casks and beer machines, your average traditional use of the word draught or draft beer means that it was poured from a tapped keg, for example at a bar. When you see it on a beer label, they're basically telling you "it is as good as getting it out of a keg" which is just a marketing ploy.

miller-genuine-draft.jpg

guinness_draught.png

Back