Fermentation temps - how do you control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doornumber3

Reaction score
So i'm really new and searched a bit but wanted to get some opinions.

I'm in the middle of my first batch and it's in my basement fermenting at approximately 69-70 degrees. I want to try an IPA but see that the temps should be lower than that for fermenting (65?). I can't control the basement temp that well so wanted to know if anyone had some great ideas to lower it down....It's a 5 gallon carboy.

Should i worry about the 4 degrees or should i try to set up something in my basement?

+1 For larger cooler with water and water bottles full of ice. Also put a shirt around the fermenter where the bottom is in the cold water. And get a Fas and plug it in point it at the area. Better Explained if you just search SWAMP COOLER on these forums. Good luck

Agreed with dstranger. I started controlling my fermentation temp and it greatly improved my beers. I am assuming you have one of therm stickers on your carboy?

You will want to get one of those large blue circular buckets/tubs (I think there somewhere around 15 too 20 gallons) and fill it half with water. My basement is usually somewhere in the mid 60's so that's all I really need to do to keep them temp down. You can use ice packs and/or frozen water bottles to keep the temp down too. You can also wrap a t-shirt around the carboy and use evaporation to cool the brew. Putting a fan on it will aid in cooling it more too. Look up swamp cooler if you want to get more of an idea about this.

The first 72 hours are the most important time to control temp as this is when most of the esters and other flavors are produced and after that it can be beneficial to let it heat up a little bit to help attenuation (usually you want to keep it in the acceptable yeast temp range though).

As for proper fermentation temps for the style it really depends on the yeast. All yeasts have a recommended range for fermentation. Generally (for ale yeasts) on the higher end of that range it will be more fruity and estery and on the lower end it will be cleaner tasting.

I am not sure where you saw that IPA's need to ferment at 65F but again it really depends on the yeast and what you are going for.

(And get a Fas and plug it in) I Meant get a Fan. Also what kind of yeast are you using in this IPA?

Or you could build Son of fermentation chiller, pretty cheap and easy solution..
This was my ferm. chamber until I build Fermkeezer:

p9270308h.jpg

It does pretty good job, but you have to load it with ice bottles every day or two depending on fermentation stage, after fermentation is over you can switch bottles every few days.

Thanks. Will that make it too cold?

Not really. And if it does, just remove the ice. This set up is a type of "swamp cooler". If you search the forum for this term, you'll find many different variations. This is what a lot of us used when we were new and/or didn't have fermentation temp control. It works pretty well.

To your original post, yes, 4 degrees can make a big difference in the final outcome of your beer. Higher temps lead to more ester and phenol production from the yeast, which can lead to undesired (or desired) flavors in your final product. Also remember that fermentation produces heat, so the internal temp of your fermenting beer can be substantially higher than the ambient temp of your basement. I like to ferment most of my ales near 60-64*F. The better you can control your fermentation temps, the better tasting, and more reproducable your beer will be.

Thanks everyone. I'm going to try the swamp cooler. Also i guess i need to get a thermometer to attach to the carboy to really get the accurate readings.

I do the water with ice packs in the warmer months. Right now though, my basement is staying around 62 degrees, so I don't have the water around it. I still keep it in the cooler (in case of blow off or any other spills or leaks) but just throw a large ice pack in with it, then put a towel over top. This seems to counter act the fermentation heat and keeps it right around 62-65 while fermenting. I actually really like the water bath (swamp cooler) as it doesn't take any power, doesn't take up a lot of extra space and seems to work perfectly for me. I just keep a bunch of differenct sized ice on hand. I have frozen gallon jugs, 2 liter bottles and 20 oz bottles. But I have a large chest freezer with plenty of space for that stuff.

yeah i like the bath too, i have also used to to help me heat up brews. I threw in a 100W aquarium heater to kick the temp up on some belgians I made.

I use a water bath at the start of every fermentation. It seems the best way to draw off all the heat created by fermentation and keep temperatures stable.

I skipped all that and started off brewing with a fermentation freezer regulated by an STC-1000 dual temp controller box. If you already have a spare freezer, it's about $30. The second one I did, I bought a used upright off Craigslist for $70 and added the controller to that for a total cost of $100.

I use the cool brewing cooler. I live in an apartment and don't have room for a real swamp cooler. The cool brewing set up works surprisingly well actually. I just put 2-3 frozen water bottles in there and it olds it in the low 60s consistently. Since I started using that my beers have gotten dramatically better.

Or you could build Son of fermentation chiller, pretty cheap and easy solution..
This was my ferm. chamber until I build Fermkeezer:

p9270308h.jpg

It does pretty good job, but you have to load it with ice bottles every day or two depending on fermentation stage, after fermentation is over you can switch bottles every few days.

I built a similar one (mother of a fermentation chamber). I absolutely love it; I can dial in some very specific temperatures this way.

I also use an STC-1000 dual temp controller, and I couldn't be more happy with it. I use it with a Danby 4.4 gal. mini-fridge (DAR440BL, I think) along with a brew belt for heat.

Sure, it cost more than the various frozen water bottles/swam cooler solutions (maybe $200 all in), but to turn what was for me the most frustrating part of the entire brewing process into something that's barely an afterthought has been priceless. It's also made the single biggest difference in the quality of my beers, by far.

I also use an STC-1000 dual temp controller, and I couldn't be more happy with it. I use it with a Danby 4.4 gal. mini-fridge (DAR440BL, I think) along with a brew belt for heat.

Sure, it cost more than the various frozen water bottles/swam cooler solutions (maybe $200 all in), but to turn what was for me the most frustrating part of the entire brewing process into something that's barely an afterthought has been priceless. It's also made the single biggest difference in the quality of my beers, by far.

Can you fit a 6.5 glass carboy in it? I'm looking at the same fridge.

I don't have any 6.5 glass carboys but my guess would be no. I use the 6 gal PET carboys that MoreBeer sells and the diameter is 11.25" according to their website. Those fit great when you remove the shelving from the door.

I do know that my standard 'ale pale' bucket doesn't fit with the lid on (actually, I probably could get it to fit if I shimmed it in the front a bit so that the top leaned back away from the door, but that doesn't matter to you since carboys don't flare out at the top like buckets do). Anyway, I'll try to remember to measure the inside of my fridge when I get home tonight and post back.

Some guy posted a bunch of kegerator conversion photos and info in an Amazon review. You may want to read his review and all the comments for more info, if you haven't already.

UPDATE: It's about 11.25" (definitely no more than 11.50") from the hump in the back where the compressor is to the inside of the door.

Back