Reporting For Duty

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wickedstangs

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am interested in Home brewing kit and would like to know if you guys can recommend a brewing kit for me? Not looking to go wild just something easy and fun..:ban: I do have a kegerator and maybe later in the future work up to making my own 5 gal kegs.. But for now lets keep it simple :)

Thanks eveyone for your help.....

Well to b honest with you, you can get most of the stuff you'll need from your local hardware store and it'll all depend on if you doin all grain or not, so if you can tell us little more of your plan and we can give you simple way to make a cheap easy brew kit

I, and many others started with Mr Beer. It is a basic kit that includes all necessary equipment and a can or two of hopped malt extract. You can find them reasonably. It makes small batches,(two gallons) which are a good way to practice. There are even other brands of one gallon kits, but I have no experience with them.

I, and many others started with Mr Beer. It is a basic kit that includes all necessary equipment and a can or two of hopped malt extract. You can find them reasonably. It makes small batches,(two gallons) which are a good way to practice. There are even other brands of one gallon kits, but I have no experience with them.

Actually, I was looking at two kits that might suite me well... Still not sure yet, which route, I should take..

That Mr Beer looks good and I love the video that explains everything.

Next is the starter kit from The American Home Brewer.
http://theamericanhomebrewer.com/american_home_brewer_059.htm

:mug:

Actually, I was looking at two kits that might suite me well... Still not sure yet, which route, I should take..

That Mr Beer looks good and I love the video that explains everything.

Next is the starter kit from The American Home Brewer.
http://theamericanhomebrewer.com/american_home_brewer_059.htm

:mug:

That looks like a pretty comprehensive kit, and the price is right. The only caveat I'd offer is that it will limit your choice of ingredient kits. If you're happy with what's available in 2.5 gal kits then go for it.

A basic kit for a five gallon brew setup should include:
Thermometer
Hygrometer
Primary fermentor-6 gal
Secondary fermentor-some feel this is unnecessary
airlock
sanitiser
Racking cane, tubing, and siphon
Bottles, caps/corks if you're going that route (I can't speak to what is required for kegging)
12 quart vessel for boiling (bigger is always better)
stirring thing (I use a drill mounted stirrer to make sure that I get things aerated properly)

That's it really. As you've noticed by browsing, there's no end to the amount of gear/equipment you can add, but I think this would get you started and see you through the first year or so.

I do think you'd be limiting yourself by going the 2.5 gal route, but I wish you happy brewing regardless of which path you take. Let us know how it turns out.

Best wishes,
pete

I like the second one too. It has a nice option to upgrade later, you will need to order ingredients. Most people start with hopped malt extract, they are an easy way to learn the process.

^seems a bit pricey, IMO. I got a 3-keg system from keg connection with perlick faucets and lengthened beer lines for about 400. Then a 20# tank from beverage elements brought me up to the 500(ish) mark.

I got my starter kit from the LHBS via a groupon discount. I'd say for an average 5-gal starter kit, I'd pay around 70-100 bucks. (Depending on glass fermenters vs buckets)

Welcome to the obsession!

Back