is 3.3 Cu Ft too small?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerMeThatBeer

Reaction score
as usual, in my life - - i've got size issues!

i got excited and bought a mini-fridge on Craigslist that looks just like this one (i think i may even be this one)

9723545cv1a.jpg;canvasHeight=500;canvasWidth=500

it was only $50, so i jumped on it - barely used and figured i'be all set to start my kegerator conversion. obviously didn't take any measurements (because that would be smart!).

the door shelving is very deep - so again, i just assumed i'd have to remove it - - so i started hacking it apart. its glued on, not screwed on - - so i kind of mangled it. (outside of making quality brew, this purchase-and-hack method doesnt help my credibility with my wife)

im only looking to fit 1 ball-lock, and a 5lb CO2 tank, with a shank/tap through the front door.i'm sure i can jigger it,re-attach the seal - probably also velcro the door closed and run a tap through the door.

just curious - anyone have experience with similar conversion (on a 3.3 cu ft fridge?) dd you have to modify it like crazy, or will my hacking of the door shelving/foam be good enough? I think i'll have to remove the freezer/shelving also to fit a corny/lines also.

thanks all!
-beermethatbeer

Sorry I can't help with your dilemma.. the smallest keezer I've ever made was 10 cu. ft. My current one is 15.

But I didn't want you to think your post was being ignored. :)

is it too small for what? A one gallon carboy may fit in there, but not much more. Don't waste your time on this, go get one of those 5.7 cu ft chest freezers

Thanks guys. This was more of an "im doing this, tell me its physically possible" thread. Ive already started hacking the crap out of it; (to fit one corny and a CO2tank)

Worst case, im out $50. Best case-springtime homebrew from my tiny kegerator. Cheers!!

When I decided to build a Keezer I looked all over and decided on the 8.8. I did see several conversions with the mini fridge but they did a lot of mod'ing to get them to work. Many had the inside door panel cut out and smoothed just to fit a keg.

Hope that helps though I didn't actually answer your post.

My fridge looks really similar to that but it's 4.4 cu. To remove the glued on door, I used a utility knife and a whole lot of force. It easily fits a couple of kegs now so I don't see why the 3.3 wouldn't work for just one. Good luck.

Thanks max; thats what i wanted to hear!

Arg-agreed, maybe should have gone full keezer. This was a compromise with the wife in case i bomb completely - minimal loss. Big kitchen remodel in a few years, and she's agreed on an "official" built-in kegerator.

So this hack job will have to do. Thanks all! Im sure ill post pics when this mess is finished. Time for a brew!7

You may also want to consider pulling out the cooling system. You could build a shell that will work and put the cooling system into the new shell. Just don't make the mistake like i did and put a small cooling system in a to large shell.

Just pull out the tape measure and see if a keg will fit before you spend hours of your time ripping it apart.

Back