Will this be red?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shred

Former Microbrewery Founder & Pro Brewer
Reaction score
I just designed a simple Blonde (session) Ale for the summer. In addition to the extra light DME, I'm steeping 1# of Caramel 10L and 1# of Vienna.

Will the combination screw up my color and make my blonde more of a red-head?

Shred said:
I just designed a simple Blonde (session) Ale for the summer. In addition to the extra light DME, I'm steeping 1# of Caramel 10L and 1# of Vienna.

Will the combination screw up my color and make my blonde more of a red-head?

Probably a little more amber than yellow

If I were to sub the Crystal for something else, what would be a good choice to ensure decent head retention while maintaining an appropriate color (or is the Vienna a mistake)?

Shred said:
If I were to sub the Crystal for something else, what would be a good choice to ensure decent head retention while maintaining an appropriate color (or is the Vienna a mistake)?

Cara pils will provide head retention and the Vienna will add malty-ness to the beer which is not really a trait to a Blonde as well as a biscuit-y flavor

Yeah... I wanted just a little something more than the standard Blonde. I thought the biscuity flavor from the Vienna would be nice (I like Vienna lagers), but I wasn't thinking about color. I should probably wait to name my brews until after I figure out for sure what they're going to look like.

For all those waiting on bated breath - It looks mostly blonde and tastes yummy. I swapped the Caramel for another pound of Vienna. A nice, easy drinking beer that doesn't taste quite as yellow as it looks.

Also - it's the cheapest brew I've made to date. I think it was around $30 for 5 gallons.

Back