Brewers best Pilsner fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tspike

Reaction score
So I got the below kit for my first beer. Litte did I know how inlvolved a lager is :) I started the beer on 5/5 and everything went well 2 days later the airlock was bubling and life was good. I have checked on it and watched it the last few days for 10 minutes or so and the airlock has no bubbles and nothing is happening. My question is should I be worried or am I being a parinoid first timer? I can smell it and it smells awesome. This weekend is when I am going to transfer it and start the chilling process. Thanks for your help

http://www.brewersbestkits.com/pdf/1008 2013 Continental Pilsner Recipe.pdf

What temperatures are you fermenting at now? Airlock activity will slow and/or stop after a few days, completely normal.

Airlock activity is not a sign of fermentation. The only way to tell what is or is not happening is to take a gravity reading. This will allow you to know if fermentation is done or not. Also, despite what any instructions say, beer is best if left alone. I don't touch mine until about the 4 week mark. Then I take a reading and another a couple days later. If I am at my FG I know I am good. Since you had activity most likely fermentation took place unless you had large swings in your temperature range during fermentation. What was you original gravity? Did you take a gravity reading since fermentation stopped, if so what was it?

You're not going to like this - but I would leave it in the primary for two weeks before transferring to the secondary for another 2 weeks (minimum) at lower temps, if possible. Assuming you've taken an OG reading, take another before transferring to secondary, and then another before bottling. Leave it bottled for another 1-2 weeks. Lagers take time.

TopherM said:
Did you ferment at a stable 53-59F, as the instructions state?

They use an ale temp-tolerant yeast in case you can't control temp. I've done similar kits and left them to ferment in my basement where the temp is closer to a steady 64 F. Might take a bit longer but seems to work fine for me.

Brewed As An Ale
Brewer’s Best® recommends lagering this recipe to achieve the true lager character of this beer style. However, if you are not properly equipped to lager your beer, the included yeast will perform well when fermented as an ale. When fermenting as an ale (between 64o - 72oF) try to keep the beer on the cooler end of the temperature range and allow for some additional time for the lager yeast to ferment down to the FG. If possible, rack to a secondary fermenter for two weeks prior to bottling.

So here is the information you guys have asked my OG was 41 just measured now 41. Temp is 61. I do have what I would call sludge on the side of the bucket when I opened it... I don't know if that matters. Thanks all for the answers I really appreciate the warm welcome :)

If you are at 1.010 from 1.039, fermentation most definitely took place. As I mentioned earlier, I would wait another couple of weeks before bottling as it takes time for yeast to clean up after themselves. Then take two readings a couple days apart. If the readings are the same you are good to bottle. Congrats, you made beer!

Awesome thanks! My next step is to put it in the carboy for 2nd fermentation. Bring it down 1-3 degrees everyday for 2-4 weeks till the temp gets 45-32 degrees. Then bottle and wait 2 weeks...

Tspike said:
Awesome thanks! My next step is to put it in the carboy for 2nd fermentation. Bring it down 1-3 degrees everyday for 2-4 weeks till the temp gets 45-32 degrees. Then bottle and wait 2 weeks...

The waiting is the hardest part...Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Yea when I went to the brew store they failed to mention that I was picking one of the hardest to brew. Being my first one and the time it takes to brew I got a little scared. I do not want to wait this hole time to find out my beer is bad.

So here is the information you guys have asked my OG was 41 just measured now 41. Temp is 61. I do have what I would call sludge on the side of the bucket when I opened it... I don't know if that matters. Thanks all for the answers I really appreciate the warm welcome :)

The sludge by the way is likely krausen, it develops as the yeast are eating away and is a good sign of fermentation. :tank:

Tspike said:
Yea when I went to the brew store they failed to mention that I was picking one of the hardest to brew. Being my first one and the time it takes to brew I got a little scared. I do not want to wait this hole time to find out my beer is bad.

I suggest an ale recipe next time. They are a little more forgiving regarding temps and the wait is not as long. I have had good ones ready to drink in 4-5 weeks but now I always ferment for 4 weeks, bottle for 2-3 depending on how it is at week 2 in bottles. Also, once you get your pipeline built up, the waiting becomes easier and you understand more on how time will improve you beer, so you become more patient.

Back