Trying to find SG list of common commercial brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark_

Reaction score
G'day everyone,

As the topic states, I am looking for an online list of the typical SG of commercial brews. It isn't for anything important but rather trying to round out my knowledge of the beer world and put together all the pieces with respect to "What makes a beer taste good to certain folks."

SWMBO and I have different tastes in beer and I think it comes down to many factors such as "maltiness", hoppiness, dryness, light vs. heavy, etc...

So in order to track down the dryness part of it I am trying to see if there is a list of the SG's for typical commercial brews like Blue Moon, Sam Adams, Sierra, Racer 5, etc. that will help me to custom build a beer to an individual's taste without actually MAKING one of those commercial beers.

Does this make sense?

Oh and I have been looking online, I haven't found anything out there though. Either it isn't readily available or I am searching badly.

I got a free copy of "Best of BYO's 250 Classic Clone Recipes" from midwest recently. It's $10,but it has recipes,different brewing styles for commercial brews,etc. It also gives OG,FG,SRM,IBU,etc. Maybe that would help?...

If you're looking for FG, you can just degas a sample of a commercial beer (warm to room temp, shake hard a lot) and check it with a hydrometer. Then, you can use the formula ABV=(OG-FG)x131, or

ABV/131+FG = OG

So in the case of a beer that you've measured at 1.010 FG, and the bottle label says 6.5 ABV, you would go:
(6.5/131)+1.010= 1.0596 or about 1.060 OG.

Back