Left over hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TAK

Reaction score
I'm putting together an IPA recipe and no matter how I cut it, I always come out with a couple different packs with 1/2 oz left. If I throw them in anywhere in the boil, I'm just over the IBUs I want. If I don't use them now, chances are I never will. I could just throw them in at flame out, but in my little experience I had a couple brews with a lot of late hop additions that had relentless haze. What does everyone else do with off even oz counts of hops?

Hops last quite a while when stored in the freezer. Is that not an option?

Also, you can attempt to design your recipe to use more additions later in the boil which will add more flavor and aroma and less bitterness. I've done this approach without the haze effect.

Just use them late. Irish Moss and some good cold-crashing will clear it fine. If it doesn't, warm some water and gelatin to 150 (not over) then put it in the secondary or keg. Wait 48 hours and it should have dropped.

If you're making a PA/IPA late hops are a must anyway. I've been dry-hopping in the keg, even. Sure, there might be a bit more haze, but it's the flavor I'm after.

I could definitely Freeze them, I just see myself always using newer hops and forgetting about them. Ya, I guess I was wondering how many people try to make even oz'd recipes? Like I said, I could throw them towards the end, but I have had a couple experiences with "hop hazed" beers.

I could definitely Freeze them, I just see myself always using newer hops and forgetting about them. Ya, I guess I was wondering how many people try to make even oz'd recipes? Like I said, I could throw them towards the end, but I have had a couple experiences with "hop hazed" beers.

Change the addition times slightly, ie. do 55m instead of 60, 25 instead of 30, etc. You'll need more hops that way. A few IBUs won't be noticeably different anyway. RDWHAHB

Change the addition times slightly, ie. do 55m instead of 60, 25 instead of 30, etc. You'll need more hops that way. A few IBUs won't be noticeably different anyway. RDWHAHB

That's a good idea. I'm really trying to keep the IBUs in check. My last IPA just had too much bite that detracted from the flavor. With that said, I'm trying a combo of mash and first wort hopping and then the rest in the last 15 min.

That's a good idea. I'm really trying to keep the IBUs in check. My last IPA just had too much bite that detracted from the flavor. With that said, I'm trying a combo of mash and first wort hopping and then the rest in the last 15 min.

I find that high alpha, high cohumulone hops give more bite when used for traditional bittering and mid/late additions. I've gone to Nugget for my bittering hop due to low cohumulone and prefer it over CTZ. I try to stick to flavor/aroma hops for the mid/late additions, too.

If it's high-alpha, it can be used to bitter something else. Half an ounce of 15% hops should give you around 25 IBUs, which may be all you need for many styles. You can mix different hops to hit your numbers if you've got 1/2 oz of several things. But if you're making IPAs, I'd toss any extras in a hopstand or a dry-hop. Most of my IPAs are designed around hopstands anyway, so more is better.

I find this is the perfect time to play with a new recipe. Recently took 4 different hops and brewed a Hef and it was amazing

Don't let them go to waste, they keep for months in the freezer

Rick

For this particular recipe, I spread out the extra hops in the aroma additions with only a small bump in IBUs. I'm using equal parts Amarillo and Simcoe. Both seem to be lower on the cohumulone levels, so maybe I don't need to worry about that "bite."

For this particular recipe, I spread out the extra hops in the aroma additions with only a small bump in IBUs. I'm using equal parts Amarillo and Simcoe. Both seem to be lower on the cohumulone levels, so maybe I don't need to worry about that "bite."

I've used them both in that range. Good show, mate.

I've used them both in that range. Good show, mate.

The more I'm reading to get my ducks in a row for this recipe, I keep seeing people rave about the Amarillo/Simcoe combo. I'm stoked about this recipe now.

Keep a spreadsheet on all your excess ingredients. I currently track over 100 ingredients on hand and can even tell which ones are needed for planned brews.

Keep a spreadsheet on all your excess ingredients. I currently track over 100 ingredients on hand and can even tell which ones are needed for planned brews.

Yes, I do this. It really helps with specialty grains. Plus I'm an admitted Excel geek.

Back